PDA

View Full Version : Dodgy speedo problem

Steve
28-12-07, 05:33 PM
After having the 2.0 running for a while I decided to put a set of gte clocks in as I found a set that have the same mileage as my car, then realised that I still have my old yellow dial sr clocks so I swapped the gte speedo into the sr clocks.

Now after replacing the needle, obviously putting it on 0 mph, its running about 10mph faster all the time!

The gte clocks were fine before, so what have I done wrong?

coombsey
28-12-07, 05:37 PM
i have same problem all id was drove at about 30 down a straight roud and pushed needle back on

Steve
28-12-07, 05:42 PM
I remember doing that on my old nova, and thats probably what i'll end up doing again, just wondered if anyone new what would cause it in the first place if everything is back the way it was!

coombsey
28-12-07, 05:46 PM
i had std clocks in mine snapped the speedo cable so when i got my new cable i decided to fit gte one instead that was about 10mph out also temp was out about 1/4

R1CH
28-12-07, 05:58 PM
You've put the needle on wrong, the needle only sits at 0mph because of the stop it sits against. Before you pulled the needle off if you'd have removed the stop that the needle sits against you'd have noticed that the needle sits about 15 - 20 degrees further round, kinda at -15mph !!

Steve
28-12-07, 05:58 PM
Same with mine, fuel was up by a 1/4 of a tank and temp was out a bit as well.

So you say the gsi cable is the same then? its still not reading right?

Steve
28-12-07, 06:00 PM
You've put the needle on wrong, the needle only sits at 0mph because of the stop it sits against. Before you pulled the needle off if you'd have removed the stop that the needle sits against you'd have noticed that the needle sits about 15 - 20 degrees further round, kinda at -15mph !!
Thats strange, so can you remove the stop then?

Th rev counter was the same, when the ignition was it sat at 2k, fired it up and it was at 3k! so i just repositioned it at 1k.

coombsey
28-12-07, 06:03 PM
also the same as mine the only one which was ok was my volt gauge

R1CH
28-12-07, 06:04 PM
Yeah you push the middle out of the stop from the back side, 2 min job

Steve
28-12-07, 06:05 PM
also the same as mine the only one which was ok was my volt gauge
Yep same as,

Steve
28-12-07, 06:07 PM
Yeah you push the middle out of the stop from the back side, 2 min job
So if I do that how do I know if the needle is positioned in the right place?:confused:

coombsey
28-12-07, 06:18 PM
as rich said

R1CH
28-12-07, 06:23 PM
Well you won't now, thats why i said if you'd have removed the stop first ... i've seen an odd once were theres been a small mark on the speedo face that indicates were the needle rests when the stops not in, that was on an old set of clocks mind, just have to use a bit of trial and error untill its in the correct place.

coombsey
28-12-07, 06:26 PM
ive got my old speedo in the garage which was okish will take stop out and have a look where it stops

Steve
29-12-07, 12:06 PM
Ok cheers for that, would appreciate it.