PDA

View Full Version : D.I.Y Spraying!

nova_carb
27-12-07, 10:15 PM
OK....so my friend has recently bought a decent spray gun and compresser..:wtf:

At the moment my car is sanded down as im doing various fillering jobs etc..
:p

We are going to try to spray the car in a farm shed..:wtf:

Is there any way to make the finish turn out a bit better..

Other than profesionally spraying it..:roll:lol

Get back to me as soon as possible..

Cheers..:thumb:

NovaLad
27-12-07, 10:17 PM
Do you know how to spray ?? that helps their is a technique you don't just spray it on like your spraying graffiti on a wall.

What type of paint you using aswell some you need to be wearing a propper mask etc..

nova_carb
27-12-07, 10:22 PM
Not quite sure what paint..

my friend has sprayed a few cars and they have turned out pretty good..

Im not really bothered if it turns out bad..

Really just a matter of re-sanding the car and starting over..:)

Just looking for tips on how to make the finish look better..

Thanks for the help..;)

banny
27-12-07, 10:38 PM
flatting it with 1500 wet or dry, and then beying a proper buffer and a tub of g3 paste compound and buffing it that will get rid of any **** you get in your paintwork which their will be if your not using a spray booth.
buffer between 100 and 150 pound
g3compound 20 pound
wet or dry 30 pence a sheet good luck to you pal

twistysnovagte
27-12-07, 10:42 PM
flatting it with 1500 wet or dry, and then beying a proper buffer and a tub of g3 paste compound and buffing it that will get rid of any **** you get in your paintwork which their will be if your not using a spray booth.
buffer between 100 and 150 pound
g3compound 20 pound
wet or dry 30 pence a sheet good luck to you pal
spraying a car in a barn priceless

NovaLad
27-12-07, 10:46 PM
Spray a white horse with black stripes and take a pic lol ... zebra

EDIT- You do this task and i will reward you with 5 pounds lol.

FUSION X16XE
27-12-07, 10:47 PM
^^^^ brilliant, took the words right out of my mouth* lol just make sure you prep the shell well and it should be ok if hes done it before he must have a rough idea as to what to do.

*not to novalads comment lol

Rexy
27-12-07, 11:05 PM
i've painted a car in a barn as well, absolute ball ache, I used rattle cans for the colour and then a gun for the clearcoat.

it came out ok, but would not say it was perfection.

Anyways, If i were you, I would be very very tempted to paint one panel at a time... The colour all be the same as your going to be using the same paint but its easier and you will get less **** in it as there is a smaller area being sprayed.

Make sure you put water or somthing down on the floor to limit bits being blown around. as said, you will get ****e in the paint so get some 1200's and 1500's flat with 1200's then 1500's then buff.

between coats of paint let it dry and tack the panel off, and make sure you blow off and tac the panel before you apply the clear coat.

If your spraying 2k Direct gloss then just spray loads lol and flat it down ;) Winner :D

shy witness
28-12-07, 11:28 AM
the biggest problems always dust and dirt when ur in a barn/old shed..

the piant lingers about in the air............and then it always causes the dust to fall off the roof beams..

its worthwhile trying to make an enclosure outta plastic 1st.........2 try n cut this out

cavlad
28-12-07, 11:35 AM
just like wat shy witness has said make sure it's dust free as that sticks to the paint and look's crap oh and a very big tub of g3

nova_carb
28-12-07, 11:57 AM
I was told to wet the floor before you spray..:wtf:

Because any loose dirt/dust will stick to the floor..:roll:

If it turns out bad ill just re-sand and respray..:cool::thumb:

Stuart
28-12-07, 12:06 PM
If your spraying 2k Direct gloss then just spray loads lol and flat it down ;) Winner :D

I did that, turned out pretty well seeing as I was a spraying virgin.

You have to adopt the comedy "crapped yerself dance" to keep the gun the same distance from the pannels :d

yellow nova
28-12-07, 06:02 PM
This is how mine turned out and i painted it in my garage
http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z219/broomy_2007/turbonova051.jpg
http://i194.photobucket.com/albums/z219/broomy_2007/Image064.jpg
Just take your time with it :thumb:

stubs
28-12-07, 06:42 PM
Looks sweet that! :)

James P
28-12-07, 07:02 PM
thats nice that is. very well done

cavlad
28-12-07, 07:04 PM
spot on son i like that

beef@novadose.net
28-12-07, 07:12 PM
I sprayed the interior of hours in the garage, 3 12'x12' polythene sheets in focus were about ?4. Poured a bucket of water over the floor before starting. We also rigged a rad fan up to a heavy duty starter pack, which did an awesome job of extracting the dust.

http://www.sw-cc.com/saloon/sept07/4.jpg

twistysnovagte
28-12-07, 07:29 PM
hi yellow nova how much to spray mine the gsi looks very good im not to far aswell

yellow nova
29-12-07, 01:19 AM
hi yellow nova how much to spray mine the gsi looks very good im not to far aswell

what do you need doing ?

stevenf
29-12-07, 02:58 AM
to nova lad.... already done the spraying of the white horse as a zebra. will try and find the pic for you. lol

FUSION X16XE
29-12-07, 12:09 PM
this has given me an idea!! just out of intrest what sort of gear did u use? obviously a compressor and spray gun but theres loads out there and theres lots of different ratings on the compressors and different guns?

twistysnovagte
29-12-07, 04:41 PM
what do you need doing ? will want a full outside respray once new front wings go on, and a door.will also need the scratches smoothing in on the back arch it would probs then need a full sanding down. and respray in calypso red(the colour it is now) please pm with what its gonna cost:thumb:

ade
29-12-07, 06:08 PM
I did mine in a garage a few years back - main thing is to clean the area fully, build an enclosure (as mentioned already) and fit some kind of extractor fan (just a cheapo fan will do from asda for a tenner) - the last bit I didnt do and the job took 10 times longer to flat back due to particles settling.

i also used 2pak paint - had to hire a fresh air respirator. not sure if you can do this at home anymore though as this stuff is nasty!

Ade

CP
29-12-07, 07:11 PM
A lot depends on the type of paint you are using. There are basically 2 types used for painting cars:
1. The older type cellulose thinners based spray paint.
This relies on the paint being made liquid enough for spraying through a high pressure low volume air gun by dissolving it in solvent thinners. When the paint is sprayed evenly onto an object in the right concentration the paint particles run together to form a uniform smooth layer of paint. The solvent volatilises or evaporates quickly away and you are left with the paint to dry. Base coats are easy to put on and you can build the paint thickness easily. Top coats get more difficult and require more and more thinning with different thinners to get a progressively more glassy smooth finish. It is very dependent on temperature and RH of the air as to how the paint behaves and goes on. It also requires more coats of paint. The main problems are bad reactions due to wrong temperatures and humidities and overspraying bloom. You have to be fast, skilled, have good knowledge on how to the thin the paint for the circumstances and have a decent heating booth to be able to do this sort of work any sense in the winter time. For DIY i wouldn't bother unless its summertime

2. The newer type 2 pack spray paint.
This is basically a "plastic" paint applied and cured using a 2 stage chemical process that is much less affected by conditions at spraying ie temperatures and humidity and is easier to get good results from. You buy the paint along with appropriate hardners and solvents that have to be mixed in exactly the right amounts for the paint to cure properly. Once the paint is mixed the curing process starts and the paint needs to go on within a certain time. (cellulose will stay usable for much longer so long as the thinners is stopped from evaporating away)
Generally it is designed to go on in 2 undercoats and 2 top coats. (Cellulose top coats maybe a dozen or more for very high quality finishes). It is an easier system use and the actual spraying skills required are less stringent - its less of an art to do. Also you can use it ok during cooler months but somekind of heat below 10 degrees C will be needed. It doesn't suffer from the inconsistancies that you get with cellulose spraying and over spray issues can be easily avoided. However its one big drawback is that it is very susceptible to dust particles landing in the paint due to relatively long period that the paint remains liquid. Dust sinks in and causing blemishes that do not easily mop out. You need to be very clean and avoid dust at all costs including on yourself.

If you go to a spray factors they will give advice on nozzle and jet sizes (for best results you need different ones for each type of paint) You will need also filters and mixing equipment etc and if you are applying 2 pack you will need a special mask or ventilation !!!!!!Its posionous!!!! do not ever breathe the fumes !!!

Once the spray is applied and cured you can then mop out slight runs and imperfections with a either a hand or special electrical rotary mop using the G3 mopping compound as others have said. Apply it with plenty of water and be careful not to over do it cos you can burn and melt the paint surface and damage it.

The more time you spend on preparation at all stages the better it will be.