PDA

View Full Version : engine transplant reviews? jnc, chris astley

xereve
27-12-07, 07:17 PM
Hello everybody, managed to pick up a 21K F reg mint 1.3 and looking to do an engine transplant.

Have no interest in doing it myself and want a proper job, has anybody had experiences with JNC racing? Courtenay? Chris Astley? etc. Or can recommend somewhere I haven't mentioned.

I know JNC's prices are good but doing a bit of research before I spend my hard earned. i.e. state of the engines? do you get any warranties? engineers reports etc.

thankyou

Lee
27-12-07, 07:29 PM
I can categorically state no tuning company in their right mind will offer a warranty on an engine as old as an XE, so if you want a warranty, you'll be paying for a full rebuild. 9 times out of 10 you will be asked to source your own engine and box.

Stuart
27-12-07, 07:36 PM
where are you based....

xereve
27-12-07, 07:40 PM
based in the midlands. Cannock staffordshire to be exact, not worried about travelling for the right job though.

krobinson
27-12-07, 07:57 PM
If I was you, i'd source and engine, and have it rebuilt first.

Then I'd most likely choose Chris Astley or JNC over Courtneay, as it will be cheaper.

Its really not that hard tho. If you find a good welder to do your bay, a good painter to paint it, the rest is pretty straight forward.

Keith

General Baxter
27-12-07, 08:21 PM
bloody hell, give me ?500 and ill bodge one in for you lol

Paul
27-12-07, 08:37 PM
Someone on here will do it, cheaper than JNC.Chris Astley and as good if not better job IMO.

Theres not much that can be done wrong!

Philsutton
28-12-07, 11:10 AM
I am from JNC (well currently I only work saturdays now) so I'll answer some of the questions for you.

With regards to the engine if the customer supplies the engine or any of the parts then there is no warranty with ourselves. However its starting to take the piss really as 9 /10 people supply their own engine an then when it blows up we get the blame an end up rebuilding it out of our own pocket and when we offered new rebuilt engines as part of the conversion people went off their head at the price. So you cant win really.

If we supply an engine then it has the standard 28 days warranty on any second hand parts supplied.

If required we can do an engineers report for insurance purposes. Also I can say now that courtney wont go anywhere near a xe / let due to their age with no exceptions, they only do ecowreck conversions now from what I can remember.

Stuart
28-12-07, 11:56 AM
With regards to the engine if the customer supplies the engine or any of the parts then there is no warranty with ourselves. However its starting to take the piss really as 9 /10 people supply their own engine an then when it blows up we get the blame an end up rebuilding it out of our own pocket and when we offered new rebuilt engines as part of the conversion people went off their head at the price. So you cant win really.

I would imagine thats down to the muppets slating JNC when its not a JNC issue that the engine decided to stop enjoying life. The general pubelick are piss takers!

coombsey
28-12-07, 02:52 PM
i did my own 3days to do that was with taking 1.0 out having a mate weld it then have some one paint it and refit engine in wire up easy to do

fhmreader
28-12-07, 09:09 PM
3 days!!! Man thats good goin!

Ste L
28-12-07, 09:24 PM
it's really easy..

helped Lee H do one, ages ago, took us about 2 day's

gazz
28-12-07, 09:29 PM
don't bother and sell me the shell!

Lee
30-12-07, 09:25 PM
If we didnt have parts issues I would have only taken 2 and a half days to do Novasteve's, thats with the nova with its std engine and a doner car in one piece at the start.

Not got space to do another as yet, hopefully have room again April / May time.