PDA

View Full Version : Should i or Should i not?

NovaLad
27-12-07, 02:41 PM
Reet the days are passing quick till the nova is on the road (next tuesday) and the skirts still arn't fitted onto the car.

I have been thinking about how i will fit them for quite a while now because i have all the clips but didn't want to screw or rivet into the body work.

Riggy mentioned to be about putting tigerseal on the back of the clips well they are connected to the skirt and just pushing it onto the body work till it sticks so then you have no holes, but thinking about that if they ever needed to come off then it would be bye bye paint work wouldn't it??

I am leaning more towards tigerseal as it's a quicker way but guess i just want ya opinions on it 1st as people on here may have done this in the past.

Cheers

Matt2107
27-12-07, 02:44 PM
If a jobs worth doing its worth doing properly.

Drill the holes, Paint the bare metal, pack some underseal on the rivet for good measure and then rivet the clips.

It's the only sensible way.

NovaLad
27-12-07, 02:48 PM
Yes but eventually the holes will rust.

If i did it that way and ever needed the clips off then it would be left with holes or at worst, rusty holes along my car...but with tigerseal it would removed a bit of the paint.

Iain
27-12-07, 02:52 PM
Just tigerseal the buggers on. If you ever remove them I'd prefer removed paint than holes in the sill.

NovaLad
27-12-07, 02:54 PM
How long does it take to dry??

Am i goign to be stood their for ages tryign to hold it up and on to dry?

Welsh Dan
27-12-07, 02:56 PM
If you treat the holes properly then they wont rust. I'd rivet and tigerseal them to make sure the clips don't come off.

EDIT, tape the clips/skirts on while the tigerseal dries, if you dont rivet them, or support them on wooden blocks.

NovaLad
27-12-07, 03:03 PM
Well if i don't use tigerseal i aint using rivets i will use self tappers because i can allways pull them out

Matt2107
27-12-07, 03:04 PM
Are you really likely to ever want to take off the clips and skirts?

It seems to me like you want a quick fix rather than doing things the proper way.

Would you ask for someone to decorate your house and expect them to just put wallpaper over the top of wallpaper or would you expect them to strip back to plasterboard, put up a lining paper and then your chosen wall paper over the top?

Matt2107
27-12-07, 03:05 PM
Well if i don't use tigerseal i aint using rivets i will use self tappers because i can allways pull them out

Rivets just drill out... not much difference really.

stubs
27-12-07, 03:50 PM
I would agree with Matt... If done correctly, there shouldn't be any problems.
If you do go down the tigerseal route however, you can use a small amount of hotglue to hold the clips in place whilst the tigerseal goes off.

NovaLad
27-12-07, 03:52 PM
Just been talking to my dad for ages and going to screw them in and put the anti rust stuff around the screw etc.. and because my arch lip isn't very good for the rear peace i will drill a screw in the holes underneath and put washes around them so it don't fall through the hole.

Martin
27-12-07, 03:53 PM
put plenty of that rust remover on then dude and you should be ok..