PDA

View Full Version : OMEX Rev Limiters

Nick
27-12-07, 01:59 PM
Right... I've had an OMEX Aftermarket Limiter for a while now, and eventually got round to connectin it up this summer. However i encountered some problems.

1 - I seemed to get a bad Missfire around the 3k mark, it was quite random and didn't happen everytime i accelerated.

2 - When it actually hit the limit at 7.2k, i wasn't overely impressed by it. Again it just sounded like a series of bad missfires - Now, obviously it being a coil inhibitor it's probably going to do that. FAO Dan (if he reads this) What Limiter were you using on your 1600t40 as you're sounded alot healthier ?

The Only thing i didn't connect was the Launch Control feature. But as far as i can tell it's an earth connection with a Push to make Switch. The Launch control limit is set at 3k, but surely it wouldn't matter if i connected it or not ? seeing as to use the launch control you push the switch. Or will this hold it at virtual earth when not pushed ?

What does everyone else use ? Am i better off bining the OMEX limiter and buying something a little better ?

Sorry, if it's confusing. i can clarify it with the wiring diagram if neccessary !

Austin_Nova16
27-12-07, 02:10 PM
I use an Omex on my blue nova and have done for years. I think its great and have had no issues at all.

Have you tried changing the hard/soft limiter setting at all?
I run mine on the hard setting set at 6900 and loved it... if the wheels start spinning at high revs I just hold it flat on the limiter until it gains traction, no issues ever..

Nick
27-12-07, 02:40 PM
Ahh i forgot about the Hard/Soft.

It comes preset on the Soft setting doesnt it ? Maybe that's why im getting the fairly lame limiter effect . Coming to think of it, It's just not "Sharp" enough !

Thanks Austin, you may have saved me some pennies !

stevei
27-12-07, 02:41 PM
by the sound of it nick yours is set on 'soft cut' which intermitaly starts cutting the revs as it gets upto the set limit. try it on 'hard' you may prefer it, i know i do!

ste

Philsutton
27-12-07, 04:31 PM
i had one on my 1.4 an 2lt on carbs, what I had on mine though as a full throttle gear shift. Basicall when ever i put the clutch down it would set the limiter at what ever your revs where when the clutch was pressed. Was great for lots of noise an flames.

greg1.4
27-12-07, 05:35 PM
got any videos of that Philsutton?:thumb:

brucer
27-12-07, 05:42 PM
what do you benefit from fitting one? and how do you fit them?

Philsutton
27-12-07, 05:47 PM
nope no videos, was along time ago now. The idea is so you dont over rev the engine to 6 million rpm. However its only an elctrical barrier, so if you put it in 1st at 100mph its still game over.

brucer
27-12-07, 05:51 PM
just basically like a resister an bit of wire.lol.

Philsutton
27-12-07, 05:53 PM
slighty more components than that, will no doubt have a trusty variable resistor in it to change to rpm limit.

brucer
27-12-07, 05:57 PM
where do you wire them into?

Philsutton
27-12-07, 06:04 PM
ignition coil from what I can remember, it basically cuts the spark at the pre set limit

garyc
27-12-07, 06:31 PM
I've just done one, the basic model has 3 wires to wire up to the coil. Dead easy.

Royston
27-12-07, 06:50 PM
Got one on the Sport, been OK with me

brucer
27-12-07, 09:35 PM
how much are they? think i mite get one.anutha gadget that will entertain me.lol

db_1.2
28-12-07, 10:27 AM
Sorry to hijack but what are the launch controls like as i wouldnt mind one on mine for in the wet!