PDA

View Full Version : front suspension problems

bola
24-12-07, 07:04 PM
I have been trying to do my front suspension today but cannot get the strut tops (with the rubbers and that) from the dampers. They are the only bits I need from the whole assembly as i have uprated springs & dampers. So is there any way i can get them off apart from the obvious, use a longer bar etc.. Also can they be bought new from anywhere? thanks

Philsutton
24-12-07, 07:06 PM
air gun will get them off in seconds, failing that about 6 hours there with bag of random spanners an mole grips.

Iain
24-12-07, 07:07 PM
What's the actual problem? They're just too tight?

bola
26-12-07, 08:35 PM
yep basically, unbelieveably tight! Would an air gun not just cause both the damper piston (?) and nut to spin?

Welsh Dan
26-12-07, 10:29 PM
Chop through the shaft of the damper.

Iain
26-12-07, 10:34 PM
Air gun may work as Dr Phil suggested, worth a try. Can't think of any better ideas than Dan's brutal method if you've tried the right hand tools.

Jack
27-12-07, 01:16 AM
yep basically, unbelieveably tight! Would an air gun not just cause both the damper piston (?) and nut to spin?
Mole grips on the piston. Had to do that to mine to disassemble them.

craig green
27-12-07, 01:33 PM
If its the std dampers you'll need a drop end ring spanner for the top mount nut & best I found for the hex on the top of the piston rod is a socket & T-handle. Soak in WD or similar first & then go at it.

Philsutton
27-12-07, 05:48 PM
air gun will spin both but it has the force to crack the nut off as well, will take seconds to do as iain knows. As I had to do his lol

bola
27-12-07, 08:05 PM
If its the std dampers you'll need a drop end ring spanner for the top mount nut & best I found for the hex on the top of the piston rod is a socket & T-handle. Soak in WD or similar first & then go at it.

exactly what i tried mate, too tight for that! it just nackered the socket up!

mowgli
28-12-07, 12:45 AM
remove the whole strut assy, compress the spring, cut the shiny bit at the top end.

Dar
28-12-07, 02:03 AM
AIR GUN!
If that doesn't work then it's time for chopping things up.
It's well worth spraying WD40 or something similar on and then leave it for a while first as well.

As an example I have had a similar problem with a car and after trying a few methods first I got hold of an air gun and that pissed it off!

Clean 2.0 nova
28-12-07, 02:31 PM
Chop through the spring so you can get at the piston, then grind the piston away from just under the damper.