PDA

View Full Version : me nova impounded

NOVA_LEE
24-12-07, 04:40 PM
last nite i only went for some petrol and ended gettin pulled by the police because was coming up with no insurance witch i do pay?142.70 a month for, sat in the police car outside me nans luckily whilst the insurance people was on the fone to the un-named insurers (endsleigh) an came back that my insurace was on hold from 4th august, with me unaware of it.

so car got impounded last nite and this mornin i went to pick it up,
could be facing a ban if the insurance company dont admit the ****ed up.

bosscav
24-12-07, 04:54 PM
as long as you can prove they took the cash for your monthly payment they have to admit they are wrong, or they get done for fraud for taking your money, my dads just gone through a similar thing( not got impounded) he terminated his policy be for renewal( got a cheap quote) they still took over 300 quid out of his account , he threatened legal action, the knew they was in the wrong.

DaveC
24-12-07, 06:30 PM
last nite i only went for some petrol and ended gettin pulled by the police because was coming up with no insurance witch i do pay?142.70 a month for, sat in the police car outside me nans luckily whilst the insurance people was on the fone to the un-named insurers (endsleigh) an came back that my insurace was on hold from 4th august, with me unaware of it.

so car got impounded last nite and this mornin i went to pick it up,
could be facing a ban if the insurance company dont admit the ****ed up.

If they have taken your 142.70 every month since 4th august you have nothing to worry about.

twistysnovagte
24-12-07, 06:45 PM
you should have this payment on your bank statment so no worries and if your insurance were on hold surely they should of sent you a letter confirming this

tom reid
24-12-07, 07:05 PM
Don't you get an Insurance Certificate, or at least a renewal notice?

Jack
24-12-07, 07:18 PM
Why did the insurance company have it on hold?

whilst the insurance people was on the fone to the un-named insurers (endsleigh)
That bit doesn't make sense to me

Matt2107
24-12-07, 08:53 PM
I think he means the under-writers.

Stuart
25-12-07, 07:44 AM
I'd be contacting the insurance ombudsman.

I had a "policy" years ago with some dodgy sounding company, They never sent me a FULL insurance certificate until I had cancelled the renewal! so beware there can be some iffy companies out there (thankfully I never got tugged for it)

stoza2007
25-12-07, 09:16 AM
thats harsh, no worries though if its on your bank statement

ade
25-12-07, 12:08 PM
be careful. i work in car insurance and you MUST ensure you read your docs carefully.

At renewal - if on direct debit 99% of companies auto renew your policy. If the underwriters flag your policy at renewal they can cancel it. they "should" put it in writing in advance HOWEVER as the driver of the car IT'S YOUR RESPONSIBILITY to ensure you have a valid certificate opf insurance in place at the time of driving the car. It's part of your responsibilities as a
driver.

An underwriter will only flag and "hold" your policy if they think somethings not right - eg if you are insured elsewhere (dual insurance), or are "fronting " - (eg your dads the policy holder with 5 yrs No Claims discount and you - 17 yrs old are the main driver or a Nova!). Also insurers will nearly always have a clause in their policy docs which states they can cancel your policy at any time without reason providing they give you 7 days notice. All they have to prove is that they sent you a letter (has to be in writing) - that doesnt necessarily mean you have received it though (eg Christmas post!).

With direct debits, "most" insurers will cease taking payments once the policy lapses/cancels - simply because the systems they use need live policies to allow payments to be scheduled - if payments are still being taken this doesnt always mean you are insured - the payment may have been scheduled to be debittred prior to the policy being cancelled (most companies apply for payments 3-5 days prior to the debit date - the banks then hold these payments till the release date - in most occasions!)

Lots of people shop around at renewal and also dont bother telling their previous insurer - this is where the cofusion can occur becauase some "muppets" dont know whe theyve insured with and just prevume theyre insured - youre not insured until you get a valid certificate (or the insurer confirms it to you - either way get it in writing).

And finally - just because you have a certificate with the dates on doesnt necessarily mean you are insured to drive that car - if driving someone elses car make sure you have the facility TO DRIVE OTHER CARS - this will be a statement on the certificate which reads something like - "the insured can calso drive another vehicle under this policy under 3rd policy liability with the consent of the vehicle owner etc etc etc..." the ALWAYS catches people out who presume they have it autuomatically!

Also - and finally (again) if you dont declare your mods the cert means sh1te if the police stop you and report the changes to your insurer on a general check.

Ade