PDA

View Full Version : 1.4sr Gear box please read.

nova dosed
09-07-02, 03:59 AM
Hi folks its me again here to pick ur brains i keep thinking of new things.
I have a 1.4sr what would be the best gear box to fit to get better 0-60 times its quick as it is but 1 n*b head down my local hang out place (festival park) seems to think he has the quickest 1.4sr alive i wnt to prove him wrong. Euro parts are going to tune my car (only ?40 ish and thats on rolling road and there mint at it). So once its tuned i wnt to get a quicker 0-60 gear box but sumet with good top end as well if poss. What F number is a 1.4sr standard anyway any1 know.

cheers jon

rgv_stu
09-07-02, 08:04 AM
f10 close ratio should be fitted

u can change the final drive to make it quicker but u will loose out on top end speed.

keep what u got if it was me

pukka-novasr
09-07-02, 11:07 AM
i got an f15box off a 1.4corsa sri and there all close ratio. picks up really well all through the gears

Dicko
09-07-02, 11:19 AM
hi mate wots ur car look like? and wots that 1.4sr u keep racing? its not a black sri is it? hehe

im also from stoke

Ste_Nova
09-07-02, 11:29 AM
u sure it wasn't a blue 1.2i :P

Dicko
09-07-02, 12:06 PM
lol@ste in his 1.2i :)

CP
10-07-02, 09:28 PM
The 1.4 SR shud have the F10/5 CR in as std which gives as good a ratio match as you can get in the production gearboxes. However it is probable that it is also running the 3.94:1 final drive ratio which is fine but you can improve on it a bit by swapping this final drive for a 4.17:1 out of a 1.6 GTE/ GSI which has the F10/5 W box in.

However its quite a lot of work esp. as its difficult to identify which GTE/GSi's have the F10/5 W in cos they can also be fitted with the 1.4Sr one and the boxes aren't marked. Also you have to undo the back and passenger side engine mounts to be able to drop the gearbox low enuff to be able to get the whole cluster out. You need to do this cos the pinion needs swapping as well and thats on the end of the output shaft. On top of this all the drive shafts have to come out and the crown wheel has to be unbolted from the diff. etc etc.

Just so you know the 3.94:1 FD is 71 teeth on the crown wheel and 18 on the the pinion. The 4.17:1 is 71 teeth on the crown wheel and 17 on the pinion. You cannot mix and match them.

If you want to be faster (most cost effective first):
1. Reduce the weight.
2. Learn to drive better
3. uprate brakes and handling
4. Improve the engine power

nova dosed
11-07-02, 12:33 AM
Jesus man are u someone who reads the haynes manual like the pope reads the bible ur pretty knollageable. And usefull