PDA

View Full Version : Mk2 grill slatting

Nova_Legend
23-12-07, 06:48 PM
Just been given a grill to replace the meshed one that came with my car.

What is the best way to remove the black slatted part without damaging it? the white part of the one i have been given is cracked and paint chipped, mine is in much better condition.

Andy

Matt2107
23-12-07, 08:44 PM
You'd probably need to carefully melt the tag bits that hold it in place.
Then you'll need to repeat the process when you've attached it to your grill.

Jack
23-12-07, 09:49 PM
Thats right, the inner grill bit is held on by melting the tangs on the edge.

Nova_Legend
23-12-07, 10:53 PM
Reckon a soldering iron will be good for the job?

Andy

Jack
24-12-07, 09:21 AM
Should be ok but it'll gunk up the tip, so won't be that good for soldering afterwards!

scott.parker
24-12-07, 12:49 PM
Im lazy so i would buy a grill that is OK! lol

Nova_Legend
24-12-07, 05:39 PM
Should be ok but it'll gunk up the tip, so won't be that good for soldering afterwards!

Cool, tip on my iron is shagged anyway ;)

Andy

ade
25-12-07, 12:14 PM
on the mk2, once grill have been removed you can see where the black slats have been plastic welded to the outer grill.

All you need to do is carefully drill (using a small drill bit) these out. Use a slow speed and make sure you protect the grill facing with a cloth so as not to scratch iot on the surface youre leaning on.

then carefully prise the old slats away.

Now - if you were carefull enough what you can do it drill a little deeper into the peg holes and after placing the new part in place of the old one you should be able to use self tappit screws to anchor it in place. thats what I did - easy!

Or - get a second hand one on ebay!

Nova_Legend
25-12-07, 03:58 PM
Ive already done it lol, ended up drilling the plastic welds and re melted them back on.

Andy