PDA

View Full Version : Twin carb alternator bracket/arm problem

Dexter
23-12-07, 03:42 PM
Hey guys just a quick question,

Finished fitting the twin delortos to my nova 1985 1300SR.
I have bought the alternator mounting bracket which allows me to fit the alternator as with the standard bracket there was not enough clearance for the alternator and the carbs.

Ok the problem i have now is that the standard arm that comes from the manifold to meet the alternator at the top does not reach the alternator.

I currently set it up so that there are two standard arms joined by a bolt and a series of shakeproof washers to cope with any vibration, to be able to reach the top of the alternator bolt hole.

By doing this i have managed to re-use the old drive belt and have it properly tensioned. However the clearance between the belt and bolt casting on the new alternator mounting bracket isn't 'great.'

I can get a picture if needed.

Any suggestions? - In the new year i have a migwelder on its way to my address so i will fabricate one but i assumed the old arm would fit as i couldnt find any other modified arms to purchase...

Thanks
Dex

Welsh Dan
23-12-07, 04:28 PM
You could fabricate your own arm as some people on here have done, using rose joints, so you just move one nut or bolt to adjust the belt tenstion. As for the belt clearance, can you just file it down?

Adam
23-12-07, 04:57 PM
Cut two in half and weld them together.
Thats what i did.

Or get a bracket off i think its a old 2L 8v.

My belt used to slightly rub the alternator mount too for some reason.

greg1.4
23-12-07, 06:14 PM
i just bodged mine, bolted two together... did the job though.

and my belt rubs on the mount too??:confused:

dan23
23-12-07, 06:33 PM
i used a 2l.8v belt too