PDA

View Full Version : not happy

LONG~BAR
22-12-07, 04:17 PM
Sold my 2L Nova trip about 2 months ago to a lad on here. when we filled the v5 out he said he'd send it off so I took my slip and he went on hos way.
then this morning I get a letter from the DVLA that I'm being fined ?80 for not having road tax and that with me still being the registered keeper its up to me to pay. so hes not sent the damn thing off and not declaired it off the road cuz he was gonna break it.

What can I do? gotta wait 2 weeks till I go back to base to get the slip and the receipt. would the DVLA believe me if I tell them that the car was sold 2 months ago?:confused:

Jack
22-12-07, 04:23 PM
You've been had. Its the seller's responsibility to send off the change of owner's details, not the buyer.

Three part registration document V5

The person selling the vehicle must complete 'your details' in the top (blue) section. Both you and the seller need to sign the declaration. It is the responsibility of the person selling the vehicle to send it in to DVLA. They should then hand you the V5/2 green section appropriately filled in. The DVLA must be notified as soon as the vehicle changes hands.
source (http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/BuyingAndSellingAVehicle/RegisteringAVehicle/DG_4022310)

LONG~BAR
22-12-07, 04:40 PM
he told me he'd send the stuff off. but with the letter I think he didn't bother

LONG~BAR
22-12-07, 04:43 PM
db 1.2 is the person in question

Mike
22-12-07, 04:43 PM
Unfortunatly theres not much you can do, as Jack said it IS the sellers responsibility to send of the V5C. So you WILL have to pay for his error.

LONG~BAR
22-12-07, 04:44 PM
rang the dvla and they told me to send a letter to them to remove my name from the files, and also told me to send the receipt to them to prove that i sold the car

ANDYRACER
22-12-07, 04:46 PM
I had the same problem, i just wrote the dvla a letter explaining i no longer own the vehicle and that i sent the V5 back to them and if they could check there records regarding the change of ownership.

Got a letter a few weeks later apoligising about the fine and it was wiped. :thumb:

LONG~BAR
22-12-07, 04:48 PM
I don't have the V5. he took it when he collected the car. said he would send it off the next day.
does any1 have his name and number?

R1CH
22-12-07, 04:59 PM
As folk have said its your responsability to send the V5 off, if the laddo was breaking it then he's not gonna be bothered about about having the V5 in his name, plus its less hassel for him if he just leaves it in your name.
I've bought cheap runabout cars before when folk have just given me the V5 to send away, sod that i can't be ****d sending it off if i'm just gonna have the car for a few months, plus you don't have to worry about speeding tickets or parking tickets !! haha

LONG~BAR
22-12-07, 05:01 PM
if u do that to sumbody.I'm not in the mood for crap from ppl who do such things and laugh at me for trusting sum1

stevenf
22-12-07, 05:14 PM
hate to say this but as you were the seller its YOUR responsibility to send the v5 off after the car is sold and should not be left to the buyer. i am not too sure about the fines though as to wether you will be stuck with them or if you can pass them on to the other lad. try looking on the dvla website to see if there is any advice there

db_1.2
22-12-07, 08:07 PM
Its me, the cars been scrapped, if you had a problem you should of got in contact, the car had no tax and MOT anyway i thought so what was the probelm? Ill sort out the v5 when the post office is open again, i know where it is.

db_1.2
22-12-07, 08:11 PM
Im not going to shy away because when the car was sold to me i was told it had no tax or MOT, but i can asure you the car is gone and never coming back, we chopped chunks out of it to weld mine up! It was a miss understanding on my part as i thought the car was sorn and off the road legit.

However i will still sort the v5 out, and i do know how you feel i have been in the same position.

shy witness
23-12-07, 10:44 AM
yeah its a boolx that

when that law had just came into action...........i got caugfht out

i sold and old pug 205c to a guy ..who was going to race it...so it would never be on theh road again....for definate

but i didnt get his details and all that............and i got fined juat fro not sending the taxbook away....and telling them ..

i wrote a well worded letter ...explaining what had happened to the car....and it was now a complete track car...but it diodnt make any difeference

i was well pi$$ed off.....as at that stage no one really knew the in's and outs of the new law

LONG~BAR
23-12-07, 11:02 AM
thanks db 1.2, only got the letter yesterday and didn't have your number, u sld of sent the v5 off straight away really... ad

just vaux trev
23-12-07, 12:13 PM
i had a letter about 3 months after i sold a car saying thank you for informing us that you are no longer the keeper, and about 2 weeks ago i got the
same letter fine ?80 for not taxing i phoned the num on the letter
and they told be to right a letter sending a photo coppy of any recipt
of sale which i always keep,
with date and signed have you got any proof of sale

db_1.2
23-12-07, 01:21 PM
Thanks for being reasonable anyway Adam, i got the v5 out and if you ever get any problems with getting rid of the fine i will help fight for you! If not it will have to be paid, i got the v5 out and ready to go off but just gotta go down the post office or send it off, probably send it off