PDA

View Full Version : Nova Fibreglass Roofskin

boffer8
21-12-07, 07:06 PM
hi guys, i have got a contact to make me a fibreglass roof but to get the price down even more if i can get 5 of them made i can get them for ?120 each. carbon fibre ones can be made too but these will be ?225. if there is anyone out there who is afterone of these please add your name to this thread and discuss what you think of the price etc. i would love to get one of these for my nova rally car so im sure there are some people out there who must want a little more weight off the cars!!
What do people think and who wants one?
cheers
boffer8

burgo
21-12-07, 07:53 PM
im interested, problem is id like to see the finish of one first

trackdaynova
21-12-07, 07:56 PM
seconded what burgo said, would definately want to see a finished article before committing

boffer8
21-12-07, 07:59 PM
hi, this is the email i received after contacting him,

thanks for the interest in the fibreglass roof for your Nova. Just to confirm, its only the sheet-metal section of the roof that should be cut, all the ribs and siffening structures around the edge of the roof should be kept. The fibreglass would then be bonded/rivetted to a small margin of material around the edge.

?145 is the absolute cheapest we could make a roof skin for - we don't yet have moulds for a Nova roof, so would have to aquire a non-sunroof model and make moulds first. - In fact its going to cost us more than ?145 to make the moulds! A courier to Leeds is likely to cost ?35 including packaging. if we get a 5 orders we will be able to lower this price to ?120

yea i understand but we need to get them to see the finish so we need to risk us money! lol

burgo
21-12-07, 08:03 PM
well you buy one then we can see what it looks like lol. ask him if he could do them cheaper if we supplied the roof for the mould?

boffer8
21-12-07, 08:09 PM
this is his website and he is part of mulsanne sports cars and if you have ever seen those the finish is spot on!! check it on and see what you think.

www.performance-trim.com (http://www.performance-trim.com)

burgo
21-12-07, 08:13 PM
wow if they can make this then i fairly confident they can make a roof skin lol
http://www.performance-trim.com/oneoffs/prototype.jpg

boffer8
21-12-07, 08:15 PM
yea thats kind of what i thought lol and i have seen one of those on a chassis and the fits spot on.:eek:

Rick Draper
21-12-07, 08:21 PM
I would like to see how it mounts first. If they do it so it would be bonded in down near the gutters i could be interested. Would also mean my shell would need caging.

stark
26-12-07, 09:05 PM
Oh god you can't be serious!

Once you actually remove the metal skin, apply the fibreglass roof and smooth it in you'll have equalled or increased the weight of the standard roof skin! A standard roof skin weights a negliable amount. If you're that worried about weight loss start a fitness course for yourself first!

Talk about pissing money down a drain...

Stoo
26-12-07, 09:32 PM
Oh god you can't be serious!

Once you actually remove the metal skin, apply the fibreglass roof and smooth it in you'll have equalled or increased the weight of the standard roof skin! A standard roof skin weights a negliable amount. If you're that worried about weight loss start a fitness course for yourself first!

Talk about pissing money down a drain...
what about removing a sunroofed skin for an FG one, is that not weight saving??
And lowering the CoG

Can only be good news really!

Only downside i can see personally is the need for a cage to stiffen the shell, which is extra weight, but i suppose removing weight from the roof counteracts this to a certain extent

engage brain first n00b

Dan
26-12-07, 10:55 PM
I Have known a few cars that have run these, and it does all sound tempting. My only fear would be that even if caged, if you ever rolled it atleast a thin metal panel would contain abit more strength than a thin sheet of fibreglass when it came to objest trying to break through it.

I was put off the idea after i spun off a main road and barrel rolled a cavalier multiple times over about 60-70yrds across a field. I didnt really hurt myself but it defo made me think a small bit :thumb:

Its all personal preference, and the idea is ok as i have seen.

Mike
26-12-07, 11:27 PM
IMHO, the amout of pishing around removing an then refitting a roof skin for such little weight saving mega out do's any pro's it could have

Nick
26-12-07, 11:55 PM
this is a bit similar to the "Carbon Door skin" ideas.

Unfortunatly, most of the weight remains in the structure !

Rick Draper
27-12-07, 12:17 AM
If i was to do it i would want a carbon roof skin and a full weld in custom cages cage with a roof bar etc.

dhdev (Oli)
27-12-07, 01:49 PM
Jesus Christ guys, how many times do I have to post the link

www.magnummotorsport.co.uk (http://www.magnummotorsport.co.uk)

They can satisfy all your FG needs, including roof skins!!!!

http://www.magnummotorsport.co.uk/nova.html

:thumb:

t45_ste
27-12-07, 09:21 PM
Theres a bloke on ebay that can produce f/g stuff for the nova.

Already bought a roof skit off him see my wip: http://www.pngclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=88755&page=2

wilson_sri
27-12-07, 10:38 PM
Im very interested in a carbon roofskin, more for cosmetic reasons to be honest! But again would want to see some photos before commiting to anything.

stark
28-12-07, 01:09 PM
IMHO, the amout of pishing around removing an then refitting a roof skin for such little weight saving mega out do's any pro's it could have

Exactly. If you want to save REAL weight you need to look at the chassis as a whole.

You'll find that the people who spend the money on silly little 'gains' are the people who are obese. Go for a run and save yourself the money. :thumb:

burgo
28-12-07, 03:03 PM
oi im not fat, im just big boned

t45_ste
03-01-08, 04:46 PM
Has anybody found out any more on these? Im becoming intrested in a carbon one.

boffer8
03-01-08, 06:12 PM
thanks oli, i had totally fogot bout magnum think i'l jst get one from there then as its so much easier and only a ?5 more and a lot less hassle! if you guys are interested i suggest getting one from magnum! lol