PDA

View Full Version : motor trade insurance?

L33 LEG
20-12-07, 02:22 PM
im buying and selling cars obviously :wtf: so am i right in saying i can simply go online and find a quote for traders, ring them up and pay for it? this will be for when i am 23 next september when i have a few more cars to my name which will cost a fortune to insure individually, i put in the 4 cars i will own at that point and it gave me a decent quote.

is this legal? if all cars have an mot and tax can i legally drive any of them at anytime? i heard that if the car is parked up it wont technically be insured but if im driving it itl be fine? if so then its fine cos the cars will always be locked up if not in use.

whats the catch? do i have to prove that i am buying and selling cars? will the cops get a bit fishy? even tho every asian lad i know is on the same sort of insurance....

any info about it will be appreciated :) just concentrating on getting all my cars to the state i want them and then in september i want the pleasure of swapping cars daily

NovaLad
20-12-07, 02:25 PM
I think you have to prove you either work for a business that you will need traders for or own ya own business for it... But could be wrong.

Allthough you could go on someone elses traders insurance.

draper
20-12-07, 02:28 PM
only probs i can see are if your buyig/selling cars for cash and the taxman doesnt know

L33 LEG
20-12-07, 02:31 PM
how can you prove it tho? would it help if i have a unit address/postcode? if you were to look around my place you'l think that i am in somesort of buisness.

and i know i could go on somebody elses traders and get me as a named driver but id be on my own to be honest.

taxman? surely therel be a limit before he comes for you? which i will not be reaching...

draper
20-12-07, 02:32 PM
but to get traders insurace you need to prove your a trader id think ??

L33 LEG
20-12-07, 02:39 PM
loads of people around here are on it, i always thought they would have had somesort of proof. however a mate of mines has a brother who owns an s2000, m3, silvia and an mr2 tubby and he doesnt own any sort of buisness and uses traders for 1500 a year.

i, however, would rather come up with somesort of proof that i am in somesort of car buisness...

draper
20-12-07, 02:42 PM
crack on then mate lol

L33 LEG
20-12-07, 02:50 PM
as said, it wont be until september when im 23. but its definetly something i want to look into more :)

Jack
20-12-07, 02:57 PM
I believe the trade cover only covers you on cars you don't "own" privately, i.e. only cars the business owns - so cars for sale that are "owned" by the garage, or works vans etc. And the insurance only covers you for use in connection with the business - so, for example, if you used the works van/car to pop down the beach one weekend in the summer you wouldn't be covered.

draper
20-12-07, 03:00 PM
I believe the trade cover only covers you on cars you don't "own" privately, i.e. only cars the business owns - so cars for sale that are "owned" by the garage, or works vans etc. And the insurance only covers you for use in connection with the business - so, for example, if you used the works van/car to pop down the beach one weekend in the summer you wouldn't be covered.

that differs from policy to policy tho, ive worked for a garage that had insurance to cover anyone on any car with no limitations, was probably rather expensive tho

L33 LEG
20-12-07, 03:05 PM
im sure the cars can be in my name as i know people who have done it. il ask my mates bro and see which company he uses

bola
27-01-08, 12:51 PM
ever find any more info on this mate? My step dad was thinking of doing it as we have quite a few cars on different policies.

Will
06-02-08, 10:01 AM
always looked at this but could never get a quote out easily or even an "indication"

too many questions

L33 LEG
09-02-08, 02:45 PM
ever find any more info on this mate? My step dad was thinking of doing it as we have quite a few cars on different policies.

not yet mate, waiting until my 3 cars are all legal. so in a month or two il be wanting them all insured and then will start ringing around.