PDA

View Full Version : Td Servo

Burt_100
08-07-02, 09:50 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Is it true that the servo is on my td nova is the same as the one on the 2.0 16v if so where would i get a bigger one cos it just ain't giving my 16v brakes enough fluid alot of brake fade etc.,

Dicko
09-07-02, 03:11 AM
thats very weird, have u tried renewing ur fluid or testing to c if the servo is leaking. that servo with those brakes shud b more than enough to lock up ur wheels easy. its probably going to be a fooked master cylinder or leaking servo!!

neiloakley
09-07-02, 12:43 PM
brake fade aint caused by a lack of fluid to the calipers. It's caused by excessice heat build up. The pads get so hot the release a gas which seperates the pads from the disc like a hovercraft does from the ground. Try some hyperformance pads with some grooved discs.

If you change you servo, i'll have your old one!

Dicko
09-07-02, 10:07 PM
gas? hovercraft? have u been taking the little gren pills again?

brake fade is usually glazing on the pads where they heat up burning the contact section of the pad cuasing the material to glaze, and therefore become slippery insted of abrasive and therefore not acting as they should.

Dicko
09-07-02, 10:13 PM
hehe, only joking, i know its a combination of gas, and glazing, but mainly glazing :)

mowgli
10-07-02, 09:49 PM
Why do people always change the servo, when it's the master cylinder that needs looking at???????

I thought that if you put 16v astra/ cav. front brakes on, you should fit the master cylinder as well, cos 16v caliper pistons have a bigger diameter, so more fluid is needed to pump them to get improved braking.

Anyway, you probably need to buy some new discs, because modern standard fit pads eat them really quickly.

Cheers Mowgli

Dicko
10-07-02, 10:40 PM
WOT? changing the master cylinder makes no diffeence at all unless the 1 u have is shagged!!
it IS the servo that makes the differecne!!

Ste_Nova
11-07-02, 09:29 AM
the master cylinder is the same.... the only one with a differnt size is the cav 4x4 and turbo

Stuart
11-07-02, 10:35 PM
erm the servo does nothing as such for braking performance, it just reduces the ammount of pedle pressure needed to get the master cylinder up to pressure.

the master cylinder makes the difference! ie if you fit a nice big wilwood or AP one then you will stop much faster than normal (provided that your pads and discs dont fade)

Ste_Nova
12-07-02, 09:27 AM
yes but then it's harder to push and then the servo comes in........ try disconecting the brake servo pipe and driving the car

Dicko
12-07-02, 09:37 AM
my point exactly. iv driven with different callipers/pads/discs and different servos, apart from going to 16v brakes from seized up sr's i think the servo made the biggest difference!!

barnes
14-07-02, 06:10 PM
never noticed any difference, only when u change the actual calipers. other wise a bit of a waste of time really