PDA

View Full Version : Shelf rattling (Help)

NovaLad
19-12-07, 11:57 AM
Narrowed down what's rattling in my car with the bass to a few things, 1 of them being the parcel shelf...

What's best thing to do to stop this rattling?

Welsh Dan
19-12-07, 12:15 PM
Put bricks on it.

On a more serious note i stopped mine squeaking against the tailgate with that tape you put around doorframes to stop draughts.

NovaLad
19-12-07, 12:44 PM
Don't know what tape you mean :S

FUSION X16XE
19-12-07, 01:08 PM
its like a white tape with a furr on it??? this what you mean??

NovaLad
19-12-07, 01:25 PM
pic?? or link to where to get it from?

JSeymour
19-12-07, 01:43 PM
how about useing your ****ing brain!

NOVA_LEE
19-12-07, 01:52 PM
^^^ well said, just think of double sided tape and one side stuck to a cat for a few weeks lol

NovaLad
19-12-07, 01:58 PM
how about useing your ****ing brain! I have alot on my mind atm so a little help wouldn't go a miss...

I thought this forum was here to help people aswell, i must have got it all wrong.

NOVA_LEE
19-12-07, 02:07 PM
in my time i have learnt dw40 lubes things up to stop em squeekin, the tape can be found from any hardware store, all it is basically is draft tape will cos well under a skin diver (fiver,?5)

NovaLad
19-12-07, 02:17 PM
So ya mean put the tape under the edges of the shelf so it is cushioned against the plastic it rests on?

philly
19-12-07, 04:23 PM
is it defo the shelf not the shelf supports?

are you sure its not the boot rattling.

that taper you can get in b&q, wickes, travis perkins, any corner diy shop. its just simply called draft excluder.

JSeymour
19-12-07, 05:23 PM
I have alot on my mind atm so a little help wouldn't go a miss...

I thought this forum was here to help people aswell, i must have got it all wrong.

seriously! dont be so ****ing pathetic:roll:

NovaLad
19-12-07, 05:30 PM
is it defo the shelf not the shelf supports?

are you sure its not the boot rattling.

that taper you can get in b&q, wickes, travis perkins, any corner diy shop. its just simply called draft excluder.
I have checked it all and it only rattles when the shelf is in... When i took it out it sounded fine.

Ernie
19-12-07, 05:54 PM
you could always just turn it down/take it all out as then wouldnt cause enough bass to make any thing rattle lol.

NovaLad
19-12-07, 05:57 PM
I'm 17 you really think i am going to roll around in a box with no tunes (with good bass) lol.

craig green
20-12-07, 12:07 PM
I have checked it all and it only rattles when the shelf is in... When i took it out it sounded fine.

Thats because the sound pressure escapes with the boot open.

Just insulate all contact areas of the shelf & other parts that contact & rest on each other with soft materials.

My 1st Nova (mk1's were really bad for rattles) had me stripping down the hole thing & making little rubber pads for the seat hinges & shelf supports & all sorts. Use your common sense.

NovaLad
20-12-07, 12:12 PM
Gunne sort it after the car front is lowered, rear window surrounds are in & the skirts are on.

Thanks guys

Jack
20-12-07, 02:52 PM
Blu tac. My hatch used to be held together with the stuff, great sound insulator lol