PDA

View Full Version : X20XEV Courtenay Turbo Conversion Problems

maccas
17-12-07, 12:03 PM
right, my friend has a phase 2 astra gsi which has in the past been converted to a turbo by courtenay with many recipts to prove etc. it has a 5th injector setup a charge cooler, intercooler and aquamist, despite all this it holed a piston recently so the lad has had the block re-bored and bigger pistons etc. the problem we are having is that when you line the timing marks up on the pulleys, the "tight" side of the belt is a bit slack, then when you tension the belt up it pulls the timing say half a tooth out, am i right in thinking this is due to the spacer plate and extra head gasket that coutenay have fitted? the engine turns over fine with no contact anywhere when the belt is tensioned, would this be safe to run or should we invest in sum adjustable vernier pulleys to solve the problem? oh and it is going to get rolling roaded when built back together to solve the lean mixture problem, i was just setting the scene lol, any thoughts or experience with these type of conversions welcome, many thanks , maccas

Stuart
17-12-07, 12:36 PM
what excatly is adjustable to "solve" the lean issue on the engine? otehrwise its futile to RR it..... and do not say up the FSE or crush the std FPR as they are both crap solutions.

A spacer plate would definately throw the std timing marks out. Ideally you want to find out the lift at TDC (of the exhaust stroke), put two DTI gauges on there (one on inlet and one on exhaust) to set the lift up properly and hope the cam belt lines up, failing that fit verniers as said.

craig green
17-12-07, 12:45 PM
You could try asking Courtenay aswell. They were pretty helpfull with any questions I had about mine.

maccas
17-12-07, 04:22 PM
well its got an MF2 which is like a seperate control box for the 5th injector with 8 little white plastic screws in, where each little screw has a complete turn of motion, the 1st screw adjusts the amount of fuel at 1000rpm, the 2nd at 2000 rpm etc, one full turn being the richest setting, and i dnt fink the top end screws were turned up enough, but saying that it was only number 2 cylinder that fecked up, all the other 3 cylinders look the right colour and there is no death ash underneath the pistons or anything like that, so could it be more likely that maybe number 2 injector was at fault or something along those lines? thank you for the advice on the cambelt issue, maccas

EUROTURBO
17-12-07, 05:04 PM
my novas got a C20XE with courtnay conversion and i have just finished with the engine and i eventually... after lots of fcukin bout and swearing managed to get them pretty much spot on with the conversion plate on. if it really aint havingit speak to courtnay, 1 question y your on the subject of conversion engines, where the **** does your vacuum hoses go off of the turbo and how is the boost monitored? thats the last thing i have left to do....?