PDA

View Full Version : I miss the nova...

Rexy
16-12-07, 03:09 PM
Purly as they are so darn easy to work on... :thumb:

To fit a full adjustable suspension kit, two track rod ends, two wishbones, a pair of droplinks and bottom ball joints would of taken no more than what 2hours on a nova... Easy peasy. (minus the droplinks) novas are just not that special and the ARB is Poo anyways :D

Now the xsara - as above with the addition to a set of brembo's = 8 hours...

8 foooking hours

What the hell is that about, problem after problem after problem after problem. Dam thing, it nearly got shunned but i stayed with it and its all sorted now.

Apart from the braided hoses as Balance motorsport sent me the wrong ones for the brembos

Oh and this isnt including lowering the rear torsion bar.... Thats another 8 hours on its own as no doubt that will be siezed.

:cry: what ever happened to xe conversions on my drive in a weekend lol

Saloony
16-12-07, 03:24 PM
Try doing it for a living fella, you dont know what sh1t is mate...

Ill give you a wee taster, Reliant Robin... just anything on one lol

staggy_gsi
16-12-07, 03:48 PM
king pin, nightmare!!

Riggy
16-12-07, 03:58 PM
hahahaha serve's you right for goin french;)

Philsutton
16-12-07, 04:16 PM
ROFL what did you expect from a french car, did you have to remove the passager headlight and have the tailgate open 30 degrees to do the jobs as well. They really are designed by tools.

Rexy
16-12-07, 05:30 PM
Try doing it for a living fella, you dont know what sh1t is mate...

Ill give you a wee taster, Reliant Robin... just anything on one lol

Good luck fella.... :thumb:

I'm not sure who designed it but really.... do you need to have the struts attached to the hubs in such a gay mannor. Why do i need to remove the hubs and shafts to change my suspension? and why oh why oh why did they have to put the rear upper suspension bolt in a stupid place trying to get a rachet up there was difficult, being seized was even harder and then getting the bolt out oh that was the easy bit :D

Oh and another moan, wishbone bolts..... who thought it was a good idea to have a small piece of metal holding a nut in place and can you get an everyday spanner in there to hold the bolt as the ghey clip thing broke? Can you bollocks.... pmsl i havent done any spanner work properly for a while lol

Loved it!!!!

General Baxter
16-12-07, 06:24 PM
king pin, nightmare!!

lol i removed one of these on a LDV van, took me 10 hours lol, only to find out i missed a part when rebuilding so had to strip it all over again lol

ste porter
16-12-07, 07:55 PM
try doing head gasket and cambelt on an mr2 turbo not much fun! doing it for a living though isnt that bad as its all a dam sight easier with a ramp decent air tools and a set of bottles i will tell ya

Saloony
16-12-07, 08:09 PM
try doing head gasket and cambelt on an mr2 turbo not much fun! doing it for a living though isnt that bad as its all a dam sight easier with a ramp decent air tools and a set of bottles i will tell ya

Bottles are a god send, would never do with out then. Air tools, get with the times boyo lol Cordless snap on impact is the future, but still need the air as a back up sometimes, nice large hammer and away you go.

Makes you laugh how these cars are designed now, the car is designed then the engine is put there as an after thought, rather than design the car around the engine, the Ren Modus is a clever one.

staggy_gsi
16-12-07, 08:13 PM
lol i removed one of these on a LDV van, took me 10 hours lol, only to find out i missed a part when rebuilding so had to strip it all over again lol

lol talking about missing parts, i rebuilt an engine in a kia sedona the other month, re-fitted the sump followed by subframe etc. then realised the oil strainer was still sat on my box. was NOT a happy bunny lol

ste porter
16-12-07, 08:24 PM
yeah i know what your saying about cordless i got an impact gun the other week of mick thomas (local snap on dealer) but still prefere to use air my blue point gun is near silent and has next to no kick what so ever.

its true a job is so much easier with the right tools we used to use cones to fit cv boots but i brought a snap on air powered boot spreader the other week and it litteraly halfs the time it takes with no effort what so ever its an absolute god send

the only thing is i have a tool trolley full of just manufacture specific tools like cam locking tools ect which cost a lot and get used only once a month on average

Saloony
16-12-07, 09:22 PM
yeah i know what your saying about cordless i got an impact gun the other week of mick thomas (local snap on dealer) but still prefere to use air my blue point gun is near silent and has next to no kick what so ever.

its true a job is so much easier with the right tools we used to use cones to fit cv boots but i brought a snap on air powered boot spreader the other week and it litteraly halfs the time it takes with no effort what so ever its an absolute god send

the only thing is i have a tool trolley full of just manufacture specific tools like cam locking tools ect which cost a lot and get used only once a month on average

Do like the blue point air gun, but what it is we me is the air line, if you look through the 'were you work' thread my garage is a **** heap, so dont want the line trailing into the engine bay, no way that i could touch the paint work if you get what i mean.

Have been pondering them boot spreaders, think ill go for one now, if you havent got one can i recommend caliper piston wind back tool, plug it up to the air line and just turn a handle, totally mint, thats a sykes jobbie.

Camtools are a bit of a bitch, got a fair few, rens seem to be the most expensive ones i find, but then a touch up paint pot always works a treat, it has them free wheeling pulleys, i would of like to been there one they decided that one, then i could of slapped them all around.

ste porter
18-12-07, 10:50 PM
yeah my mate has one hardly uses it though just do it the butchers way on the fronts and use a big pair of grips but works a treat on the rears on stuff like mondeos and elise's ect i just pinch his but should realy invest in one now as after christmas i am transfering depots and will now be acting service manager so wont have the option of pinching his although i am now planning to get my hands dirty as little as possable and beeing payed more for it lol

Saloony
18-12-07, 10:55 PM
yeah my mate has one hardly uses it though just do it the butchers way on the fronts and use a big pair of grips but works a treat on the rears on stuff like mondeos and elise's ect i just pinch his but should realy invest in one now as after christmas i am transfering depots and will now be acting service manager so wont have the option of pinching his although i am now planning to get my hands dirty as little as possable and beeing payed more for it lol

Good lad, dont blame ya. :thumb: