PDA

View Full Version : XE Reving Problem

JonL
15-12-07, 05:47 PM
Hi Guys,

Just been out for a drive in my Nova XE (91 astra gsi engine) and all was going well, until suddenly it decided to loose the will to rev.

It'll now only rev up to about 2000 rpm, and then it just starts spluttering and its like hitting a brick wall. Sometimes it'll splutter and then just start reving normally, but 99% of the time it just splutters and feels like its going to cut out, so i have to drop the revs back down.

I've had a look at the AFM it *looks* ok, I'm thinking its got something to do with the fuelling? I've just replaced the fuel filter (yes its flowing the right way), maybe its the pump or the injectors?

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance

Welsh Dan
15-12-07, 05:51 PM
Is the ECU light wired up?

Saloony
15-12-07, 05:52 PM
Timing?? Ie Cambelt?

JonL
15-12-07, 05:53 PM
Nope :( I think they are SR clocks anyway, would they have the light for it?

JonL
15-12-07, 06:11 PM
Timing?? Ie Cambelt?

Hmmm i suppose its possible it could have slipped a bit, are there some timing marks i could look at to see if its happened?

Stoo
15-12-07, 06:18 PM
plugs/leads/coil/rotor arm/dizzy cap

change em all

Paul
15-12-07, 06:20 PM
Right for first of all,

whip the timing belt cover off. Then from the bottom pulley spin in clockwise until the notch on the alt. pulley lines up with the spike on the front of the block.

When that is lined up, the two cam pulleys should line up with the notches on the rocker cover.

If that all lines up there the belt is fine.

You then need to wire the ECU light up. I have recently done a wiring guide, search for it.

Paul

JonL
15-12-07, 06:36 PM
Thanks for all the help guys, just had another look at it, and noticed that it only does it when its under load, i.e. it revs fine in neutral, its only when its in gear that it has a problem.

Does that narrow it down at all?

Stoo
15-12-07, 07:18 PM
Probably ignition related, read my above post!

Paul
15-12-07, 07:46 PM
Yeh, honestly your pissing in the wind without an ECU light.

That would then narrow it down to either as Stu said, Ignition, or it can still be the timing belt.

Wire up the ECU light its 2 wires!!!