PDA

View Full Version : Help Needed Now!!! rear spring removal foolishness

NovaLad
15-12-07, 03:16 PM
Can't get the spring wind up comressers to go around the spring at top because of it being hard under wear the spring is!!! how do i get it to work because we can't compress the spring:(

t45_ste
15-12-07, 03:19 PM
Cant you compress it on the next coil down?

Al1exx
15-12-07, 03:24 PM
Aye mate compress it a coil up from the bottom, down from the top - should still go down far enough for you.

NovaLad
15-12-07, 03:31 PM
Got no grips their no room to get the compressers around it

NovaLad
15-12-07, 03:33 PM
Can't do the compressors won't fit to get a coil up from the bottom

t45_ste
15-12-07, 03:40 PM
Go and buy some decent spring clampslol

coochiSR
15-12-07, 03:57 PM
And post in the right section..............

Welsh Dan
15-12-07, 04:50 PM
Take the strut off the car first?

Adam
15-12-07, 05:01 PM
What he said/\

You take the strut off, then compress the spring. Lol

t45_ste
15-12-07, 05:17 PM
YOUR DOING THEM ON THE CAR:tard:

lol

Adam
15-12-07, 05:18 PM
I assume he thought you needed compress them to remove the strut,Lol.

just vaux trev
15-12-07, 05:19 PM
or just take the 2 13m off top of strut should give you more room to work

Riggy
15-12-07, 05:43 PM
^^^ or not lol unless you want to get a black eye lol

just vaux trev
15-12-07, 05:45 PM
/\/\ not that one....mounting 13mm's and pull the strut down

Riggy
15-12-07, 05:50 PM
^^ ill let you off i read it wrong

smcgsi16v
15-12-07, 07:37 PM
Or use the weight of the car as a spring compressor, undo the centre of the strut, jack the car up and then undo the 2 strut nuts.

Stoo
15-12-07, 07:41 PM
cut the springs

mowgli
15-12-07, 07:52 PM
i've done them on the car before cos I couldn't be bothered to take the steering & brakes apart, but I still managed it with my old cheepo compressors.

NovaLad
16-12-07, 01:26 AM
My solution in the end was call it a day and put the car away couldn't be botherd messing aroudn with it!!!

Gunna get some hydraulic comressors from my uncles garage sometime next week hopefully! then do it with them.. shouldn't need to touch anything apart from take wheel off and compress the spring.

NovaLad
16-12-07, 01:37 AM
Just couldn't get the compressors around the spring on both sides because their just no room on a nova to fit um :( only got 1 on. on 1 side
http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i319/MD_Crew/DSC01531.jpg

SRimon
16-12-07, 03:16 AM
Oh my god

just undo the strut inside the boot and let the beam swing away

lol how to make removing the rear spring hard for yourself.......

NovaLad
16-12-07, 03:18 AM
Come do it for me;) lol

SRimon
16-12-07, 03:18 AM
lol its a five min job

mole grips on the strut top, undo the bolt, and your away...

NovaLad
16-12-07, 03:19 AM
I don't know anything about cars mate.

SRimon
16-12-07, 03:20 AM
yet you managed to try and repair your rear arches, this is a much easier job lol

NovaLad
16-12-07, 03:29 AM
Right so if i jack it up liek it was today and then undo the bar thing behind the drum at the bottom and the nut thing in boot then what will happen will it all drop and the old spring go flying?

Ernie
16-12-07, 08:23 AM
you have a choice of undoing the nut at the top of the strut(inside the car) on both sides or undo the bolt at the bottom of each rear stut which ever you do the rear beam will drop down and let the rear spring come out.You will have to support the car on the sills which ever way you go about this job to let the rear beam swing down.
Hope that helps or go get a haynes manual.

Stoo
16-12-07, 10:17 AM
OMFG PMSL ROFLCOPTER!!! Nooooob

chris gsi
16-12-07, 10:19 AM
spot on ernie i normaly put axel stands on the sills and put the trolly jack under the rear beam and remove the 2 bolts on the botton of the strut and then lower the jack the springs will fall out and then underseal where the springs go and then fit the new springs and jack the beam back up and refit the 2 bolts job done

Philsutton
16-12-07, 10:22 AM
OMG this was a funny read lol, also there is no reason to do the front on the car as well for the sake of two bolts an 30 seconds of your life.

shy witness
16-12-07, 10:25 AM
why are you using compressors o the rear springs mate

theres no need

all youu do is take the botom bolt out of the shock absolreber(a 17 mm i think).and then jack the car up on the body(not the axle)

your spring will fall out

then put the new 1 in.....and let the body of the car down gently again...until you can put the bolt back in2 the shocker

job done....

shouldnt take u any more than 1/2 hour mate 2bh

hope that helps

Jack
16-12-07, 11:09 AM
lmfao, great thread.

I just undid the top nuts on the rear struts when I first did the rear springs so the rear beam came down lower. As said, 5 minute job. I'd suggest doing that, heck even I managed to figure that one out myself when I did it and I'm a complete numpty when it comes to car work lol

Second time I didn't bother with that, just jacked it up (leaving the wheel on the hub to weigh the beam down) and levered the spring out. That was a 40mm lowering spring, but being stiffer had much less compressability than a standard spring. One spring came out fine but the other took a bit more persuasion. And nearly took my head off when it sprang out the spring cup :cool:

Try using some mole grips if you can't get a compressor in there; or putting one compressor on and rotating the spring round then putting the second on.

Rexy
16-12-07, 11:41 AM
Oh my god, this was the funniest thing i've read all day.

GUY put your spanners down, and put the car back onto the ground. Drive your car to a Garage and say " Hi, please can you change my rear springs on this car" Hand the man ?40 and say thank you for that go home and be have a brew.

God help you if you try and change the frontsprings. . . .

Awesome.

On a helpful note, Get yourself a haynes manual Read it and understand it... Then try again! :thumb:

Stoo
16-12-07, 11:45 AM
compressability

Is that even a word you big gay??lol

just vaux trev
16-12-07, 11:59 AM
wow i thought this was for the front springs hence info
simple terms bud:
leave the car on all 4 wheels
take 17mm spanner and i think 6mm or 7mm out of toolbox
use the 6/7mm cant rem which to hold the flat piece on top of the strut in the boot then use the 17mm to undo the nut in the boot, do this both sides
then when 17mm nut is removed (both sides) jack the car up crack rear wheel nuts 1st when jacked up remove rear wheels put some pressure on rear axle via brake drum (with foot) hey presto spring falls out.......
tip of the day buy a haynes and other random car mags books and read up
you will pick it up in no time..... even haynes is not that/\/\ detailed
EDIT> to replace put springs in place make sure shocks are fully extended and wheels are on
lower the jacks down slowly stoping just after the top of the shock hits inner wheel arch
you will then be able to reach the shock over the top of the wheel to guide the shock into place
then continue to lower jacks replace 17mm nut job done

mowgli
16-12-07, 12:10 PM
Do I need my eyes testing, or did somebody alter the title for this thread, cos I didn't notice the bit about the rear springs till this morning.

I have done front springs with the struts still on the car. it is possible & very useful if you have lent your ball joint splitter to a mate who then loses it.

Stop rubbishing the boy's knowledge because we were all young once. I was cacking it the first time I did anything serious on my first nova. it was back in 1989 & the net was still being used for my mums curtains. This forum is meant for help. we take the p1ss on muppet corner

just vaux trev
16-12-07, 12:20 PM
exactly as above.. i did'nt notice the rear part before in the title

Jack
16-12-07, 01:48 PM
Is that even a word you big gay??lol
Yes :p although it helps if i spell it right (http://dictionary.reference.com/search?r=2&q=compressibility)

Stoo
16-12-07, 01:50 PM
Dyslexias for cool kids!

Adam
16-12-07, 02:26 PM
So what were you doing?
trying to get the rear springs out without undoing the damper? lol

Leave handbrake off
Undo damper
Push beam down and wrestle the spring out.

A haynes manual would help!

Philsutton
16-12-07, 04:13 PM
Also im not sure why everyone says do the top shock nuts as without a air gun these can be a right **** hole. Its easier in my opinion to just do the one on the axle that way you dont even need to open the boot.

craig green
16-12-07, 04:18 PM
Cracked me up that it took 3 pages before anyone realised he used the word 'rear' in the thread title...

Muppets! LOL

Also im not sure why everyone says do the top shock nuts as without a air gun these can be a right **** hole. Its easier in my opinion to just do the one on the axle that way you dont even need to open the boot.

Oh yeah. & you simply jack the beam back up into the damper eyelets when refitting.

Saloony
16-12-07, 04:26 PM
Heres a far easier option for you that you can probably manage, if your lowering it, open rear tailgate and put some breeze blocks in, you might be able to do that no probs i would of thought.

Adam
16-12-07, 04:27 PM
Cracked me up that it took 3 pages before anyone realised he used the word 'rear' in the thread title...

He didn't :p
It was a crafty edit lol

NovaLad
16-12-07, 04:36 PM
GUY put your spanners down, and put the car back onto the ground. Drive your car to a Garage and say " Hi, please can you change my rear springs on this car" Hand the man ?40 and say thank you for that go home and be have a brew.

It's 80 quid i have checked ... i want the front and rear springs changing and the rear shocks.

NovaLad
16-12-07, 04:38 PM
why are you using compressors o the rear springs mate

theres no need

all youu do is take the botom bolt out of the shock absolreber(a 17 mm i think).and then jack the car up on the body(not the axle)

your spring will fall out

then put the new 1 in.....and let the body of the car down gently again...until you can put the bolt back in2 the shocker

job done....

shouldnt take u any more than 1/2 hour mate 2bh

hope that helps So far this seems the best/easy option.

smcgsi16v
16-12-07, 04:44 PM
Yes it is.

just vaux trev
16-12-07, 04:45 PM
you still have to guide the shocks back into position under the car when lowering the jack/jacks
tbh i find the way i stated to be easier have done it maney times
i'll edit my post to replace too<<<<

Riggy
16-12-07, 05:11 PM
omg lol , leave them mate and ill come round at weekend and show you if you want ,

if you want ago your self put the car on axle stands and put a trolly jack under the beam to support it , undo the 2 nuts from the bottom of the shock and lower the trolly jack and the beam will lower with the springs on it ,

to refit just sit springs on it (the right way up) and jack up the trolly jack to you can refit the bolts in the shocks ,

then take off axel stands and your done , it is a 8 min job lol

Philsutton
16-12-07, 05:15 PM
It's 80 quid i have checked ... i want the front and rear springs changing and the rear shocks.

we normally charged ?40 to fit complete set of springs, it should be no more than an hours labour for a garage and if they are charging ?80 an hour it sounds like you went to vauxhall for the quote.

Riggy
16-12-07, 05:22 PM
also i have a spare haynes manual if you want it , its just missing its fromt and back cover lol

NovaLad
16-12-07, 05:37 PM
Actually i went to my uncle who owns his own garage doing Repairs M.O.T's and selling cars etc... and he said it's 30 quid an hour for the labour.
I was like WTF... i'm ya nephew lol.

NovaLad
16-12-07, 05:37 PM
also i have a spare haynes manual if you want it , its just missing its fromt and back cover lol
Allready got 1 pal ... the green 1

Riggy
16-12-07, 05:42 PM
Allready got 1 pal ... the green 1

lol i wouldnt have admitted to that then lol

Welsh Dan
16-12-07, 05:56 PM
As said before, the rears are easy. Undo the lower bolts (on the rear beam) that hold the shocks on, you can do this without jacking the car. Once they're out then jack one side of the car(not the axle), take the spring out, put the new spring in (enlist a mate to help), then bolt the shock back in on that side. Repeat for the other side.

NovaLad
16-12-07, 06:03 PM
If i undo the bolts on the lower beem at end of shocks won't the whole rear of the car drop on me? if it aint jacked up?

brucer
16-12-07, 07:19 PM
tbh i think its a bit mean to pick on this block since he dont no how to do anything with spanners.

yes if you dont support the rear beam it drop.do one side at a time an it will just hang down enough to do a side at a time. but you will need a jack to lift the rear beam up again.

it isnt too hard.just give it a go and you will see its easy.

good luck

burgo
16-12-07, 07:33 PM
lmfao novalad you really are a tool

crazy4novas!
16-12-07, 08:57 PM
i'll pop down as well n help u riggy gaz posted on laurens account lol

crazy4novas!
16-12-07, 09:00 PM
he didnt really hes just changed his name

mowgli
16-12-07, 09:33 PM
Stop rubbishing the boy's knowledge because we were all young once. This forum is meant for help. we take the p1ss on muppet corner

I know I wrote this earlier /\/\ but I would like to change my statement...

YOU REALLY ARE DANGEROUS!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you jack the back up & support it both sides, then undo the lower shock bolts, the axle won't jump off, it will sit there until you pull down on it, this is due to the friction on the rubber bushes. you then simply lift the springs off & put new ones in. you then lower the car back onto its wheels & then fit the lower shock bolts. on a bad day, this would take 5 mins. you don't even need to take the wheels off....:mad:

Lee
16-12-07, 09:48 PM
I predict if he tries doing the fronts he loses a hand.

Any advance on a hand?

I see an arm, we have an arm in the corner, any advance on an arm?

NovaLad
16-12-07, 09:50 PM
I mite just get my uncle to do it then and give him 80.

Saves the hassle

draper
16-12-07, 09:59 PM
I predict if he tries doing the fronts he loses a hand.

Any advance on a hand?

I see an arm, we have an arm in the corner, any advance on an arm?

i predict a spring hitting his chin and breaking his jaw

it isnt hard novalad, youve got a haynes manual and youve also got some different shocks to go on have you not

Welsh Dan
16-12-07, 10:01 PM
If i undo the bolts on the lower beem at end of shocks won't the whole rear of the car drop on me? if it aint jacked up?

No, as the wheels would be on the floor, with the springs taking the weight of the car.

Take it to the garage mate.

JSeymour
16-12-07, 10:12 PM
I mite just get my uncle to do it then and give him 80.

Saves the hassle

what a kind uncle you must have, he must dis-like you as much as 99% of the people on here lol

this thread is so funny

JSeymour
16-12-07, 10:14 PM
I don't know anything about cars mate.

and over 3,000 posts, in a couple of months, musta been mega helpful:thumb:

NovaLad
16-12-07, 10:32 PM
I want it done a.s.a.p because i mite get the car on the road by end of week and if it means giving my uncle money to do it then i will.

Jack
16-12-07, 11:03 PM
lol this is getting out of hand now, if you can't do the rears I really can't see you doing the fronts.

Which reminds me, I've got a pair of aftermarket front struts with 40mm springs already fitted available for sale - all you'd need to do is undo 4 bolts to fit them, saves having to feck about with replacing the springs on your existing struts...

Lee H
16-12-07, 11:23 PM
Let me come and change them one night, will only take a matter of minutes to do the rears.

NovaLad
16-12-07, 11:29 PM
Would you be able do to them at night / evening?

Lee H
16-12-07, 11:30 PM
If you have any form of light I can, not talented enough to do them in the dark yet!!

NovaLad
16-12-07, 11:35 PM
I mite be able to nick some flood lights or parkans from work for lighting.

I am busy at college during day till tea time ish most days.

Lee H
16-12-07, 11:37 PM
I don't get home from work till 6 during the week anyway!!

NovaLad
16-12-07, 11:40 PM
You do know it would have to be in the backins at the back of mine because i have no tax yet untill insurance papers come through.
It's flat tarmac ground though.

Lee H
16-12-07, 11:47 PM
Sure i've worked in worse, i'll pm you my mobile number and give me a text/call when you want help as not on the net much in the week.

NovaLad
16-12-07, 11:55 PM
Cheers fella.

Welsh Dan
16-12-07, 11:56 PM
I'm a little over an hour from you, and I'd be happy to help with the rears, but I've never done fronts.

NovaLad
17-12-07, 12:00 AM
Thanks anyway but i think Lee is doing it now ... Plus it's a bit far even if it is a hour.

Riggy
17-12-07, 11:27 AM
lee give us a shout when you doin them ill come say hello

Lee H
17-12-07, 12:29 PM
Doing them tonight mate, going round about 7.

Riggy
17-12-07, 12:32 PM
im in work till 8, ill text you when i finish if i can make it tonight lol

NovaLad
17-12-07, 01:59 PM
Oh no lol ... can't have you seeing my arches in that state lol.

mowgli
17-12-07, 10:50 PM
HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

IT IS EASIER THAN CHANGING THE SODDING ENGINE OIL FOR GOD'S SAKE!!!!

a lot of community colleges run basic car mechanics for women, you should enrol immediately

NovaLad
17-12-07, 11:08 PM
Just because their is mechanics courses it doesn't mean i hav to do them or have done them.

You expect to much from someone that has never worked on a car before this 1.

R1CH
17-12-07, 11:26 PM
Cant really be a*sed reading the rest of the thread tbh, probly already been said but ...

All you need is a jack, 2 axle stands and a 19mm (or could be a 17mm?) socket (and ratchet)
Get the back end of the car up on the axle stands, then put the jack in the middle of the rear beam and lift the beam slighty so it compresses the springs a little bit, remove the rear shock mount bolt from each side then slowly lower the jack down, this will then allow you to remove / refitt the springs. Once the springs are in position jack the beam back up so you can get the lower shock bolts back in, once there tightened up take it down off the axle stands and your done.
Easily done in 20 mins !!

NovaLad
17-12-07, 11:28 PM
Allready done it pal.

R1CH
17-12-07, 11:29 PM
Whats all the fuss about then ??

NovaLad
17-12-07, 11:30 PM
Fook knows...
It had been done before mowgli posted anyway lol.

Stuart
18-12-07, 08:43 AM
you do have a haynes manual dont you?

if not then you shouldnt be alowed to post till you get one lol

Welsh Dan
18-12-07, 11:27 AM
He has one, he just can't read it properly lol.

Matt2107
18-12-07, 01:12 PM
You expect to much from someone that has never worked on a car before this 1.

Don't mean to be rude but when I wanted to do things to my Novas I ALWAYS read the relevent part haynes manual first.

What if you did something to your car and ****ed it up then ended up hurting someone or worse?

You wouldn't attempt brain surgery without finding out how to do it first would you?