PDA

View Full Version : making a disc rear axle?

greg1.4
14-12-07, 10:26 PM
i am wanting to make myself a disc rear axle for my nova to run 2.0 calipers.

i will also be using a hydrualic handbrake, as its for rallying.

what do i need to do? i have seen conversion plates on chris astley motorsport but what else do i need after those?

cheers

Greg

Welsh Dan
14-12-07, 10:26 PM
You need a nova rear beam, donor rear disc beam, and the conversion plates.

And some tools :).

greg1.4
14-12-07, 10:33 PM
ok..i have nova rear beam and can get the donor beam..which one should i go for? astra gte or cavalier sri etc?? does it matter?

once i have got the parts and welded the conversion plates onto my beam what do i do?

is there any pics?

cheers

Greg

Welsh Dan
14-12-07, 10:37 PM
IIRC they're all the same.

Once you've welded the plates on, bolt the stub axles from the disc beam onto the nova one, and then reassemble the whole lot.

If you wanted to be flash you could figure out how to fit mk4 astra sri/gsi ones, as they have the handbrake in the caliper instead of in a drum inside the disc, however these are 5 stud and I've not seen them fitted to a nova before.

If you search around you'll find a guide for what you want.

Mike
14-12-07, 10:39 PM
You can use SR front brakes for rear disc conversions or even golf items.

greg1.4
14-12-07, 10:44 PM
i would be more interested in putting nova sr brakes on the back?

so how do i do it? weld plates onto beam then what?

is discs on the backa good idea for a rally car? i want it to stop well and i will be running a bias pedal box..i also want it to look better than standard brakes..

cheers

Greg

Mike
14-12-07, 10:57 PM
If your using a pedal box, the rear disc's will be sound.

Handbraking is common place in a rally car chap, you want efficeint rear brakes.

greg1.4
14-12-07, 11:02 PM
cool..so i have rear beam, sr front brakes and will get conversion plates..

now how do i put it together?lol

Greg

aswrally
14-12-07, 11:11 PM
as from 2009 you have to run handbrake cables so use the astra/cav set up not sr fronts
pm me

gammienov16v
14-12-07, 11:12 PM
You need a nova rear beam, donor rear disc beam, and the conversion plates.

And some tools :).tools are goodlol

greg1.4
15-12-07, 08:24 PM
right still a bit stuck here..

i am buying conversion plates and got my rear beam off ready to fit discs.

what all do i need for the rear disc brake setup? just calipers and discs? how do the calipers mount? what else do i need?

i have no idea what i am doing here..

Greg

_JH_
15-12-07, 08:31 PM
I'd say use golf stuff, it's far superior in my eyes, just weld up the existing bolt holes and drill new ones the same pattern as the golf stub axles :)

greg1.4
15-12-07, 08:43 PM
dont want to use golf stuff..sticking to vauxhall!ha ha

Stuart
15-12-07, 10:48 PM
beware of MK4 astra calipers as there are crap ones from early cars...
If they are cheap then avoid in general terms

just vaux trev
15-12-07, 11:18 PM
make sure you can weld or your wheels will fall off

bosscav
15-12-07, 11:51 PM
^^^^ was just about to add if you can weld don't bother, nothing worse than ya wheels fallin off cos you can't weld for sh!t lol, also might be cheaper buying a ready made up rear axle, It'll cost around the same really for all the parts

just vaux trev
15-12-07, 11:57 PM
thought someone better let him know lol

craig green
17-12-07, 12:52 PM
The astr, disc type end plates are welded to the Nova beam. (grind off the old Nova end plates)

Drill through & line up the stub axle mounting holes to match the Astra disc pattern.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c323/turbocraig/NovaGSi-WIP_pics/DAKOTA_DRAG031.jpg

When removing the disc mechanism & hubs from the donor beam (GTE 16v best IMO) you will then understand how to bolt the setup back onto the newly converted Nova beam.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c323/turbocraig/NovaGSi-WIP_pics/workinprogress028.jpg

Sort out new handbrake cables (ask about) & be sure to have a method in place to ensure the plates are welded on dead straight to avoid strange wheel angles/bad geometry or alignment etc.