PDA

View Full Version : the pourus head problem.....2.o 16v redtop

shy witness
12-12-07, 06:43 PM
i'm alway hearing about this problem................and the coscast replacement heads etc etc

but what is it that actually goes wrong with the head??/

i might be able to get an engine here cheap/for nothing......and its suspect that the head is the main problem with it (although it'll likely all need a rebuild):confused:

can the head not be fixed in anyway......or is it just fooked???

any help/pointers would b greatly appreciated

Paul
12-12-07, 06:45 PM
yeh they can be fixed, do a search on here joff-nova-turbo recently done the fix and has detailed pictures.

Stuart
12-12-07, 06:51 PM
right.... IT IS NOT A POROUS PROBLEM!!!! the oilways crack but its easily fixable as in joffs guide and guide you can google

Martin
12-12-07, 07:04 PM
also H1 GTE has the mod done with some fancy dress up looks kool

shy witness
12-12-07, 07:07 PM
so its no reason at all to shy away from the engine

if i waas to get it...........and poosibly have to rebuild it....

i wouldnt be forking out another 400 or 5000 quid for a head

they are repairable............yes

Stuart
12-12-07, 07:10 PM
repairable with about ?2 worth of stuff lol. (ok the head needs to be off but hey its still cheap as chips to do)

coscast heads attract a higher rate as people think they are the bollocks for their std engine..... they are "better" for say high power LET's or crazy spec N/A (over 200bhp) but no reason to hold out for one in stock form imho

db_1.2
12-12-07, 08:21 PM
How do you know if the oil ways go?

Adam
12-12-07, 08:28 PM
Same symptoms as head gasket.
Oil/Coolant mix

db_1.2
12-12-07, 08:46 PM
Hmmmmmmm, might have to check mine

Ste L
12-12-07, 09:08 PM
repairable with about ?2 worth of stuff lol. (ok the head needs to be off but hey its still cheap as chips to do)

could probably do it with the head still in situ - lack of room will make it a bit harder though

Will F
13-12-07, 09:02 AM
Same symptoms as head gasket.
Oil/Coolant mix

Sort of but the other way around, you would get oil in the header tank, whereas if the h/g went you would get water in the oil (oil filler cap gunk etc)

Stuart loves the word porous, and he is right in that the metal does not pass oil/water through... the waterways corrode (NOT crack ;)) usually due to incorrect coolent levels.

All but 1 XE I have owned has gone the same way and they last for YEARS like it, as long as you keep an eye on the header tank (and dont leave it for months)