PDA

View Full Version : Nova with ABS or Cruise Control

stubs
12-12-07, 04:14 PM
Whilst slowly making my way down a few icy, un-gritted roads this morning, I got to thinking if it would be possible (and worthwhile) to fit ABS to a nova?

Has anyone done it? What would be needed or involved? What sort of cost?

Also, has anyone with a valver managed to fit cruise control? - This is something I'm more interested in as I really miss this comfort feature.

letvalva
12-12-07, 04:30 PM
ya can buy cruise control kits for any car for about 100 quid or summat

ya can fit abs on a nova using corsa parts irc

Welsh Dan
12-12-07, 04:44 PM
Vauxhall ABS is cack, you're better off just releasing the pedal when it locks up then re-applying.

The Simps
12-12-07, 05:10 PM
Rob has ABS on his mental Turbo Spider.

craig green
12-12-07, 05:17 PM
There was a euro spider type convertible with ABS from back in 2000 or that era.

Totally pointless IMO unless you are totally bored & at ends with what to fit next. The GM system from Cavs, Corsas & Astras is shoite.

db_1.2
12-12-07, 05:19 PM
What about cruise control, sounds cool

craig green
12-12-07, 05:21 PM
Typically it must be fitted to an injection engine & the engine itself will need a secondary throttle butterfly not to mention an ECU to control this...

Useless tbh. Novas are loved for their simplicity.

dannyb
12-12-07, 05:35 PM
Get something with ABS for wet and icy weather, keeping the Nova for dry days. Might stop it from going as rusty too!!

Stuart
12-12-07, 06:55 PM
seriously trust me and the rest of the folks who have said it.... Vauxhall ABS is utter toilet!

its poo on the VX, its poo on the MK4 astra, it was nearly useable on the omega but would cook the fluid fast.

mowgli
12-12-07, 08:12 PM
sorry to get all old fashioned, but why not just fit some high profile thin steel wheels & tyres for the winter like 165/70r13s you get better grip & when you clout something you won't cry. scrappy cost ?20 ish

EUROTURBO
12-12-07, 11:35 PM
my inlet manifold off of my LET was from a very late astra GSI and had been converted by Courtnay and such has the twin throttle boddies, i just have not connected the cruise control up but im thinking about it not just as a useful item but its just a bit different and a bit trick lol

Jack
13-12-07, 09:20 AM
Whilst slowly making my way down a few icy, un-gritted roads this morning, I got to thinking if it would be possible (and worthwhile) to fit ABS to a nova?
Driving in ice makes you think about fitting ABS? Are you crazy? :wtf:

craig green
13-12-07, 10:15 AM
i just have not connected the cruise control up but im thinking about it not just as a useful item but its just a bit different and a bit trick lol

Different NO, trick YES I spose.

Royston
13-12-07, 12:30 PM
ABS in slippery conditions is lethal! try a 2 ton range rover on ice!!you end up with a 2 ton sledge as the ABS does it's stuff, as least with out it you can candesant brake!

As mentioned earlier it you run low profile tyres(because they are lethal on ice/snow), invest in a winter set of wheels with sensible tyre size e.g. 165/70/13's I use to use a set on my Nova, would go just about any where, and through 10" of snow!

Cruse control is nice, have it on the RR, but don't really see Nova's as a long distance cruising car! especially my Sport!

Matt2107
13-12-07, 01:10 PM
when you clout something you won't cry.

In 7 years of driving I've never clouted anything with any of my wheels :confused:

craig green
13-12-07, 01:20 PM
In ice or snow ABS pretty much wont allow you to brake. (old GM system)

With your feet hard on the brakes, the ABS obviously wont allow the wheels to lock & thus it decides that the brakes will not operate. Pretty poor IMO.

4 locked wheels is more effective.

EUROTURBO
13-12-07, 10:53 PM
everyone knows abs is for people who dont know how to use brakes properly and they think that 3 big letters will make them feel a whole lot safer in ice or snow, WRONG!!!, ABS is just another thing to make you think like your stopping quicker but in actuall fact it just makes the pedal have a fit and the car just do its own thing. ABS is for queers!!! lol

novacrazy2006
14-12-07, 01:56 PM
good point mowgli

mowgli
14-12-07, 09:25 PM
In 7 years of driving I've never clouted anything with any of my wheels :confused:

& you live in Oxford, birthplace of the speed hump!!!

when i lived in wheatley back in the early nineties, the humps were lethal, i had a mk1 astra with soft springs 175/70 r 13s brand new boge gas shocks (ta unipart:thumb:) & gte antiroll bars, it was a soft ride, cornered well, & rims were ?5 from the scrapper in oakley. ps I used to go over the barton speed humps at 50

ednovasr2
15-12-07, 09:52 PM
couldn't you use any vauxhall bits as most 2.0 16v calipers etc are ABS ready!

Stuart
15-12-07, 10:05 PM
yeah you " could " but GM ABS is utter,pure unadulterated crap.

plus the calibration from even a corsa wouldnt be correct for the nova and it would kick in all the time etc

BRoadGhost
16-12-07, 11:48 AM
So how many Rally / Race cars have ABS?

Stoo
16-12-07, 11:54 AM
Why not get a grip, and if you realy want ABS buy a corsa!