PDA

View Full Version : How To: Nova C20xe Wiring

Paul
10-12-07, 05:12 PM
Right, hope I haven't forgotten any wires here, otherwise be pretty useless lol

This is for a DISTRIBUTOR C20XE, the dispacks are identical apart from they have on more plug for the dipack unit.

Maybe make this a sticky seeing as its a common topic/problem?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v14/lashednova/XEWIRING.jpg

ALL WIRES/PLUGS ARE BLACK UNLESS STATED OTHERWISE

WIRES FROM THE DIAGRAM:

1- This is the wire which goes to the fuel pump, the fuel pump live. It is blue with a red trace, as illustrated.

2- This is the Fuel Pump Relay, they have a few wire going into them and only one coming out which is item 1 on the diagram

3- This is the big plug which goes into the ECU, It has a silver clip which you push down to secure the plug into the ECU, these can be tricky to master the first few times you do them!

4- These are the dash signal plugs, out of these two you will use the following wires:

BLUE- Temperature Display for Dash, to BLUE on Nova dials
BROWN with BLUE trace- ECU warning light, colour for colour on injection Nova dials/Digidash, unless it was a carb model, in which case, use the choke light as a ECU light, which is BROWN with YELLOW trace
GREEN- Tachometer (rev counter) goes to GREEN on nova dials

5- This is the gromet bung which is where the wires will go trhough to the inside of the car through a 60mm hole you drill in the bulkhead. TIP: you need to cut the tape holding the bung in place and slide it down towards the ECU plug for a better fitment

6- This is the Permanent live for the ECU, it is a red wire, in a black sheafing, it should have a ring terminal on the end, it goes to the positive side of the battery

7- this is the three pin plug for the Lambda Sensor, the line going through indicates that the plug should be around here somewhere.

8- This is the plug for the Air Flow Meter (Commonly known as AFM) Think it has 7 pins?

9- This is the coolant temperature wire, it is blue and simply pushes onto the nipple next to the Coolant Temperature Switch.

10- This is a blue plug with 2 pins, it goes to the coolant temperature switch sensor (commonly known as CTS Sensor). This is located at the front of the block by the top rad hose

11- This is the Crank Position Sensor,, it goes in the lower front face of the block, it is held in by one bolt. The line further up the loom towards the ECU indicates a plug for it

12- This Plug goes into the Hall Sensor on top of the distributor, it has 3 pins, you really cant miss this one!

13- This plug goes into the coil.

14- This is the switched live (a.k.a. Ignition Live). This should go to a 12V igtion live source, this will turn the ECU on and off with the ignition.

15- This is a 5 pin (I think?) plug which connects to the back of the block loom. It will be down by the speedo cable drive somewhere. (The loom from the back of the block should include, knock sensor, ICV etc)

16- These are earth, 3 separate wires, one on cambelt end, 2 on gearbox side, they should be earthed to the fuel rail.

17- This is the plug for the Fuel Tank Vent Valve, it is a 2 pin plug. It goes at the very end of the block, usually bolted to the bottom stud of the inlet manifold (gearbox end)

18- This is a plug for the Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) It is located on the cambelt side of the throttle body.

Other Wires

You need an earth that goes from the gearbox to the chassis.

You also need to connect the starter motor live to the +ve side of the battery

From the Nova Engine Loom (found by brake fluid reservoir), you also need to connect the black with red trace to same colour on the engine loom at back for the starter motor. Again from the Nova loom, you need the blue with white trace as the remote wire for alternator, to the same colour on the XE loom. Again for the Oil pressure, you need to connect the blue with yellow trace and blue with green trace to the XE Oil Pressure sender, this is found down behind the Oil Filter.

Hope this of some help to some of you,

Paul :thumb:

Ste L
10-12-07, 05:14 PM
nice guide paul :)

Mazz
10-12-07, 05:43 PM
oooh, bookmarked for a rainy day! Thanks :)

Adam
10-12-07, 05:44 PM
At last, someones done a decent Xe wiring guide. Lol
Paul, add to the Other wires bit, the oil pressure wires too. Blue/Yellow, Blue/Green. There on the nova loom same as starter solenoid wire, and alternator wire.

Definently needs to be stickied.

db_1.2
10-12-07, 05:53 PM
Thats just what i need, all i need now is a new loom! Brilliant positive rep:thumb:

Paul
10-12-07, 06:16 PM
Edited, Thanks Ad

The Simps
10-12-07, 08:53 PM
Edited, Thanks Ad

Just to clarify that further.

You use the mini loom that is originally on the nova that goes to the starter alternator etc NOT join the wires in the XE loom. You see so many XE/LET conversions where they've used all the starter loom and big round plug from the donor car an there's just no need.

The only problem you'll have with the above is if the engine came from an astra GTE 16v which didn't have the 3 plugs but 1 big one instead. Also there is no seperated igntion live (14) its part of the plug.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v310/TheSimps/Nova/Mechanical/ConnectorXE-Starter.jpg

All in all tho mate, great thread!

Benn
10-12-07, 10:43 PM
Any one that cuts and joins the looms for the starter/charging loom is a nugget. You should never see an x5 (big round plug) in a nova bay.

L33 LEG
13-12-07, 03:47 PM
what an ace guide. looks straight forward now Lol. when im fitting my valver il definetly be using this, cheers mate

womble sri
13-12-07, 08:14 PM
good guide defo sticky it nica art work there too paul lol

AlanH
13-12-07, 10:38 PM
top guide mate!! very helpful

Riggy
13-05-08, 11:51 AM
Just to clarify that further.

You use the mini loom that is originally on the nova that goes to the starter alternator etc NOT join the wires in the XE loom. You see so many XE/LET conversions where they've used all the starter loom and big round plug from the donor car an there's just no need.

The only problem you'll have with the above is if the engine came from an astra GTE 16v which didn't have the 3 plugs but 1 big one instead. Also there is no seperated igntion live (14) its part of the plug.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v310/TheSimps/Nova/Mechanical/ConnectorXE-Starter.jpg

All in all tho mate, great thread!

just to ad , my loom was from a gte16v and it plugs straight into a nova gsi loom :thumb:

Lee H
13-05-08, 12:03 PM
just to ad , my loom was from a gte16v and it plugs straight into a nova gsi loom :thumb:

But you need to swap the order of the wires in the plug round!!

Adam
13-05-08, 07:16 PM
As above.
The plug does fit right in, but all the wires are in the wrong places....
Found that out on Mazz's nova

c20xeMira
16-12-08, 03:14 AM
Sorry for the reply to a 6-month old thread, but I have just converted an Australian car to a C20XE and have everything running except the Cooling Fan.. is there a wire on the ECU that I can use as an on/off signal for the fan or do I have make something up?

Thanks

Paul
16-12-08, 05:02 PM
no, that wire should be on the car loom, not the C20XE Engine Loom.

Lee
16-12-08, 05:06 PM
There should be a thermoswitch somewhere on the radiator. When it gets to a certain temperature it closes the circuit, so you should be able to make up your own circuit from scratch using the switch.

c20xeMira
17-12-08, 05:42 PM
Doh, I was hoping that wasn't the case. My car gets the signal from the standard ECU (doesn't have a switch in the radiator). I will rig something up with a voltage switch. :thumb:

The other question is there is no response on the tacho when connecting to the green wire on the green plug. If I connect it to the negative side of the coil, the tacho works but shows 2k rpm at idle.. Is there anywhere else I can tap into this ECU tacho signal?

Paul
18-12-08, 09:40 PM
run a wire straight from the coil to the clocks, see what happens.

turbojolt
14-01-13, 08:16 PM
great guide, first time ive sat down and understood how to wire up the car properly :thumb:

lukehamlyn
07-02-16, 06:53 PM
number 6 on the diagram, the perment live for ecu...theres no wire on my loom for the battery and iv checked the loom to see weather its been cut or anything and theres no sign of it...can it be lived any other way or is the wirie down with the fuel pump wires etc....im stuck lol.....its a dizzy type engine anyone had this problem? anyone help?