PDA

View Full Version : Gearbox Help

nathanl
05-07-02, 11:40 AM
Hi,
I have got an F reg Gte with 135,000 miles on the clock, I have owned it for 2 years and have blown up 2 F13 GTE boxes and am now on my 3rd box. When the box was fitted the guy said, it is out of a cavalier but still an f13. I didn't know what to expect as he said it would make it a lot slower. I took it down the motorway and managed to get 130mph at just over 5000 revs in 5th !!!!, as you can understand I was shocked by this and tried out the 0-60 and there was not that much difference than before, anyway I went to the P.V. show and took it down the strip, I got a 16.7, can anyone tell me if that time is alright for a gte with a 4 branch manifold, straight through exhaust to the backbox and an induction kit ?
Also Does anyone know of a box that will give me a quicker 0-60 time but a top end of about 110-120 one that is stronger than the f13 GTE box?
Sorry to write an essay about it but it shocked me,
Cheers
Nathan. :scatter:

mowgli
05-07-02, 09:22 PM
Hi, the cav. gbox has the same diff ratio, but 4th gear is about the same as your old 5th gear, with fifth now being an overdrive. your 0-60 time will improve because second gear is higher so instead of changing to third at about 55, you should now get above 60 before the change point. gm did the same trick on 16v astras at some point.
You could try using a 3.94 or a diff from an old f10 gbox I believe it will fit ( which means I am probably going to be proved wrong)

have fun

Mowgli

Dicko
05-07-02, 10:43 PM
sounds like uv been driving on the f13 wide ratio boxes.
try to source an f13cr (close ratio box), or better still a corsa sri f15cr box.
you shud get about 128 max from these in 5th gear with 6600rpm on clock.

cant see why you are breaking the boxes though, seems a bit odd as they shud b upto the job easy!!