PDA

View Full Version : Nova GTE Big Decision.....

munchie
05-07-02, 01:52 AM
Hi, ive been searching like many for a mint bodied Nova for some time now, to rip apart and re fit a 2.016v turbo engine with the thought of making it 4x4 like my last 2 calibra's. ive been through a few (10 to be exact in the past 9 years) Well my problem is, ive just bought a totally mint G reg Nova GTE in metallick black, with no more than 16,000 miles on the clock and only the one service to its name, for the past 8-10 years its been stored in a local garage unknown to anyone, Is this the dream car to modify in this way or would it be criminal to cut it up to try and make something totally different?? It'd break my heart to mess it up, ive dreamed of a black 2.016v 4x4 turbo'd nova since my very first 1.2 merit. So What do you all reckon??

Aj

Huge Vaux Fan

Fester
05-07-02, 09:37 AM
Hmmmm it's a tough one

If it were me I would be thinking about the long term and keeping the GTE as original as possible, and maybe continuing to look for another Nova to start your project on.

With so many changes anyway theres no reason why you can't buy GTE decals, parts etc and make the new one into a GTE looker, with all your running gear underneath.

If u fuck up that GTE as u said u would be gutted

Let's have some pics up of it!!!

dave.gsi
05-07-02, 10:52 PM
don't do it..........its a future classic and you'll regret it later on.

novaworld
06-07-02, 03:48 PM
Sorry to disagree with everyone, but I think you should convert it into the turbo'd 4x4. You said you wanted a mint Nova for the project, well you've found one! Whats the chances of finding another? Hate to say it, but I can't see a Nova GTE being a future classic like the series 1 RST's, MK1 golf GTI's etc. Sorry people, I do own a GTE myself, so its not as though I don't like em! Although it would be nice to keep mint forever, I can't see it ever increasing in value, plus I want to see this mad 4x4 turbo'd nova. Just my opinion, don't want to cause any arguements.

munchie
07-07-02, 12:53 AM
Thanx for your oppinions, im going to make lots of enquiries befor i do anything. i want to build a car that'll last another 10 years at least. I am after a project car after all so this one may be up for grabs, we'll see,
Any one got any ideas on 4x4?? i broke 1 trying to pull away too quickly, last one survived 2 years with me befor i had to sell her. Love the engine but not too keen on using vaux 4x4 (sorry Vaux), i just see more people trying to catch a Nova than a calibra.

Thanks again people..

aj[/img]

Chris_W
07-07-02, 01:59 AM
Ok, maybe I'm missing the point here, but you want to do a turbo 4x4 nova? Well if your going to go that route your going to be cutting a hell of alot of the original car/floorpan out and fabricating new stuff, so whats the point in using a mint car? I mean if your gonna be cutting it all about to make it a 4x4, then the effort in welding in a couple of archs and maybe a new slam panel (common rust areas), is going to be minor in comparison!

Chris

ade
07-07-02, 08:00 PM
absolute cfiminal - dont cut it! A 10 yr old car with less than 20k on the clock - no rust etc :o
Hold onto it for a few years and it will start to appreciate in value - specially if u keep if fully serviced and dont mod it. Car like thats worth investing in but not in the modding way!

(Never thought I'd hear myself say that!)

Ade