PDA

View Full Version : Brakes

turbojolt
08-12-07, 02:34 PM
i think my caliper piston is stuck how do i cure this i have tried hitting it with a rubber mallet will the brake is being pumped but don't wont have to take the caliper apart is there is another way of curing this

thanks

Welsh Dan
08-12-07, 02:52 PM
You could replace the caliper.

The only real way to do it yourself is to take the piston out, clean the piston and caliper, check/renew the seal(s) and re-assemble.

turbojolt
08-12-07, 02:58 PM
the thing is the seals arnt avalible for my bike so i really dont wont to take it apart

Welsh Dan
08-12-07, 11:14 PM
Your're stuffed then, something will be making it stick, most likely a contamination, so to do a proper job you will have to remove the piston, the seal could well be fine though.

mowgli
08-12-07, 11:53 PM
usually putting a pad against the piston & using a g clamp to slowly push it back in will help get it back in line, but whacking seven shades out of it is not good news.

therealnovaboy
09-12-07, 12:49 AM
get the calliper off and go to paragraph 2

if its completely stuck and theres nothing you can do you have to get new pads, get a strong screwdriver and ram it in between the soft pad and hard bit, then lever the piston side until the caliper is free from the pads . you will then buy new pads. then take the caliper off and if you can wind a bolt into the hole where the banjo goes then wind the bolt in till it touches the piston and keep going till it winds out. if you cant do this ive seen myself getting a air supply and a fitting that fits in the hole and presurise it untill the piston presses.if you cannot do this, with the pads out connect it to the car and pump the pedal uyntill it finnaly comes out.

there are different types of calipers. somtimes it is because the caliper dose not float. this is when the caliper body cannot move free from the bolt holes that hold it on to the hub. ive seen the outer seals cause this . i tear them off but i do maintain my breaks. these bolts that have allen hexes to hold them on can be cleaned, a copper grease keepse them free for ages.

if it is just a sticky piston then when u take it appart then you will see that it looks like ****. cleen all he parts with emary paper untill they are smooth. i dont mean sandpaper bits of metal just dirty bits and rust.

if you get it all apart and back together theyl probly be fine. the hardest bits getting them free. pads cost **** all and once you buy them they ll last ages .