PDA

View Full Version : another xe linkage question

alan b
06-12-07, 11:14 PM
hey guys my nova linkage is still ****e!lol the linkage is hitting the bolt on the gearbox mount so bad that it stops it from going into gear sometimes and i ahve it set as far as it will go but it still barely catches 4th gear sometimes just spinning off it making a terrible noise and making me cringelol what can i do to fix it? dont really want to fix cav selector as it seems like a lota work taking out carpet cutting of the carpet support jobby! oh and before anyone says it i have fipped the plastic bit around already!

Welsh Dan
06-12-07, 11:22 PM
Grind a bit off the linkage or the bolt.

s14a
06-12-07, 11:38 PM
did you ask god aka kieran?? lol

alan b
06-12-07, 11:59 PM
no... i havent asked him yet i dont want him to know i failedlol i tryed grinding a bit off it but it was too tight in there, im going to take it off tmro and try sort it ta fek! anyone elses ever hit the bolt on the mount?

R1CH
07-12-07, 06:30 PM
The linkage shouldn't hit any of the bolts tbh as its in the smae position as it would be with a std gearbox in, if it does then something might be bent / out of line ??
Any pics of where its catching ??

saloonwoody
07-12-07, 06:51 PM
yea it dont sound rite m8 , iv done loads n never come across that ??

alan b
07-12-07, 09:17 PM
hold on ill get a pic, a crap one!

alan b
07-12-07, 09:24 PM
this were taken while ptuuing in engine nothing seem to be bent, its only catching it cos its 10 mill wider out than it used to be with smal block,
http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa312/gteforme/png2linkage.jpg

R1CH
08-12-07, 12:39 AM
The mount and linkage are still in the origional position on the car, its just the box thats spaced out on one side.
Only thing different on that side of themount is that theres a 5mm (?) plate that sits between the mount and bolt head, so pushing the bolt head further out towards the linkage. There'll be a fair few folk running that mount / conversion kit, never heard of any probs with it tho.
If its just that extra 5mm causing it to catch then just get rid of it and just weld the other 2 plates on the other side to the mount Or get rid of the sh*tty bush / pivot on the linkage thats inside that box bit and replace it with a rose joint or with a std pivot from another linkage, should give you a bit more room.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y221/ricmetcalf/Nova%20build%20pics/Linkage.jpg

alan b
08-12-07, 04:39 PM
nice one head, not like you have this problem, youve a cav shifter... i remember your tv feature! where would i get a linkage like that^^?

Adam
08-12-07, 04:44 PM
youve a cav shifter... i remember your tv feature!
You stll use the standard nova linkage....

R1CH
08-12-07, 06:02 PM
Even if you fitted the Cav shifter it still looks like you'll have the same prob as the linkage will still be in the same position, the Cav shifter connects to the Nova linkage in the same place as the Nova shifter does.
The Nova linkage has 2 main pivots / ball joints, one of them is housed in a sh*tty piece of rubber and the other one is fixed in the linkage, i had a spare linkage so chopped the fixed pivot off one end and welded it in place of the rubber housing bit.
Gets rid of a lot of 'free play' in the linkage.

Rich