PDA

View Full Version : Hydrolic handbrake and MOT

db_1.2
06-12-07, 04:47 PM
First of all sorry for the spelling!

Anyway, i heard that if you have a hydrolic handbrake for your main handbrake it is not MOT passable, as i was thinking of using one on my rear disks (when finished) but i would like to have a hydolic handbrake and not 2 seperate handbrakes just to pass MOT!

Is this true?

Welsh Dan
06-12-07, 05:08 PM
The reason a hydraulic handbrake is an MOT fail is that in an emergency, such as a brake line being ruptured, you could use the handbrake to slow/stop the car.

I'm not sure if a completely seperate hydraulic handbrake system is a pass, ie a second set of calipers and so on, ask a tester.

db_1.2
06-12-07, 05:17 PM
I see, ah well have to give that a miss then

boffer8
06-12-07, 07:39 PM
i have two one that cable operated and one that hydraulic, when i was researching how to do it, i found one that uses a cable aswell as linking into your hydraulics not sure on how good this is like but hey ho. i believe that you just have to have some way that stops the car without use of the hydraulics if these fail, therefore just buy a land anchor and if your brakes fail throw it out the window! lol problem solved!

draper
06-12-07, 07:45 PM
id advise to have a cable to hold the car when parked anyway, if you only had an hydraulic handbrake eventually brake fluid would seep past the seals due to the continued strain your putting on the braking system

Saloony
06-12-07, 09:25 PM
A mechanical operated parking brake is a must. If you dont have one you can forget about an mot ticket.