PDA

View Full Version : 1.0 carb adjustments

FUSION X16XE
05-12-07, 08:36 PM
Right ive got the next couple of days off so im going to tie up a couple of loose ends i found out over the past weeks since ive been driving. The car is running very rich and i havent the foggiest how to "tweak" the carb to sort this out??? any help would be great :thumb:

Tom

FUSION X16XE
05-12-07, 08:50 PM
bttt

FUSION X16XE
05-12-07, 09:53 PM
come on!! anybody??? also i get warning lights light up (i.e. handbrake, oil warning) under heavy braking and sometimes it even cuts out if i break hard at say a junction..

Stuart
05-12-07, 09:55 PM
ffs be a little more patient!

Saloony
05-12-07, 09:59 PM
And put some oil in it.

FUSION X16XE
05-12-07, 10:14 PM
sorry just home ill lol and wanted to find out before i went to bed so i could start earlie tomorow and whats put some oil in it suposed to mean?

Saloony
05-12-07, 10:38 PM
If you have a oil pressure light coming on going round corners and under braking, it needs engine. How do you know if the cars is running rich?

FUSION X16XE
05-12-07, 10:44 PM
umm well tbh i dont lol my friend works at ford and said its running rich and it does go through petrol quite quick and stinks of pertol when being folowed. im not going to lie i no only the basics about engines but i am willing to learn and stuart sorry but im a impatient bstad lol

Saloony
05-12-07, 10:49 PM
1.0l's due chew fuel without a doubt, little engine trying to lug about a load of metal. They do stink too. Its not worth just turning it down yourself, you could lean it right off. Or cock it all together. Theres two flat headed screws on the carbs, one large at the front on the left, sure thats the idle, the littler one is the co. Your better of chucking it to an old skool garage who know what contact breaker points are.

FUSION X16XE
05-12-07, 10:59 PM
ok cheers i think ill leave that alone lol ill have to wait till jan for a newer injection engine thanks again mate

coombsey
05-12-07, 11:02 PM
a garage round by me charged me a fiver to set the carb up then 18 months later they wanted 25 plus vat

FUSION X16XE
05-12-07, 11:43 PM
well theres a garage next door and he specializes in mgs (poor man) so i spose he should no a little about carbs and also with the lights thing its the handbrake warning oil pressure and battery that light up.

Welsh Dan
06-12-07, 12:33 AM
Handbrake warning means you're low on brake fluid. Drain the old fluid out and completely replace it while you're at it, it'll make an improvement to pedal feel/braking. Oil pressure is coming on because you're low on oil. Battery light I cant explain.

Adam
06-12-07, 12:52 AM
Aye, take it a garage get the carb sorted, as they'll have a exhaust analyser.

Handbrake warning and brake fluid lights are different no?
well they are on my clocks anyway

Ignore the oil comment, imo the idle speeds set too low so the engines beginning to stall when you brake(vacuum on the engine), or come to a stop, hence the lights comingg on ;)

Nick
06-12-07, 01:34 AM
Aye, take it a garage get the carb sorted, as they'll have a exhaust analyser.

Handbrake warning and brake fluid lights are different no?
well they are on my clocks anyway

Ignore the oil comment, imo the idle speeds set too low so the engines beginning to stall when you brake(vacuum on the engine), or come to a stop, hence the lights comingg on ;)
On the base models it's a combined light isn't it ?

Also, you probably should keep an eye on the oil. After-all, being low on oil is like me draining 5 pints of blood from you and asking you to go for a jog - It's not going to happen.

I've never rely on a oil warning light myself.. just keep checking it regularly.

Stuart
06-12-07, 09:16 AM
as LLTN said, the engine isnt happy when you lift off the throttle under load so the lights come on as its about to stop....

get a haynes manual, tells you howto fiddle with the carb

Adam
06-12-07, 11:24 AM
On the base models it's a combined light isn't it ?

I've never rely on a oil warning light myself.. just keep checking it regularly.
I have gsi clocks, cant remember my old base spec ones. Maybe it is?

You never want to see the oil pressure light come on, as if the sensors not knackered/your low on oil, its telling you your engines basically f**ked lol
That comes on with something like 5psi oil pressure, which isn't going do much to keep the engine lubricated.

FUSION X16XE
06-12-07, 11:42 AM
**** doesnt sound good lol i think ill put it in for a service cheers lads

Adam
06-12-07, 11:45 AM
Get a haynes, and turn zee idle speed up.
That will probably fix your problem.

Also, get to a garage and get them adjust the mix.