PDA

View Full Version : coverting a c20xe to c20let

alan b
04-12-07, 05:10 PM
hey guys ive been on the search for a c20let and the prices seem to go up and uplol so was thinking of rebuilding my red top into a turbo, its a perfect engine at the mo so seems like a good base, anyone done this? parts a think i need to far.
let exhaust cam
verniar pulley for inlet cam.
top hat and boost pipes.
let exhaust manifold and turbo including actuator.
let pistons and rods.
let loom and ecu
z20let steel head gasket.
that about all i think of, are the valves the same? any thing ive missed?
cheers.

The Simps
04-12-07, 05:19 PM
Its been discussed loads on MIG this one.

That shopping list you have there is expensive and buy the time you've spent all that and built up the engine you can buy one cheaper.

The only reason you would start with an XE is if you were going different turbo and steel rods/pistons etc.

staggy_gsi
04-12-07, 08:51 PM
far easier and cheaper in the long run to just buy a c20let, rather than farting around converting your XE

Lee H
04-12-07, 09:16 PM
Injectors, air flow meter, throttle body, intercooler.

db_1.2
04-12-07, 09:40 PM
Oil feed for the turbo?

Lee H
05-12-07, 12:02 AM
Oil return drilling and tapped into XE block.

Adam
05-12-07, 12:11 AM
Aye, definently worth buying a let in the first place.
Unless your going for new pistons/rods etc.

The loom/ecu etc can go for ?150+

Lee H
05-12-07, 12:20 AM
Rough prices:

Loom ?100
ECU ?120
Injectors ?30
AFM ?70
Pistons ?50
Turbo ?200
Cam ?30
Top hat/TB/sensors ?50
Oil feed pipe ?40

Plus then there is the cost of gaskets, head bolts, engineering work so not worth it really.

alan b
05-12-07, 10:54 AM
i no but the price of let's in ireland is stupid. cheers anyway, ill just keep looking!

The Simps
05-12-07, 11:31 AM
i no but the price of let's in ireland is stupid. cheers anyway, ill just keep looking!

A ticket across the big blue can't be that stupid?

Just look out for a cav or cally turbo to buy whole. Still plenty about.

Stuart
05-12-07, 12:06 PM
imho most LET's would need a rebuild to be of much use anyway..... so surely building an XE to LET (or better) spec isnt "that" expensive afterall.

The Simps
05-12-07, 01:48 PM
imho most LET's would need a rebuild to be of much use anyway..... so surely building an XE to LET (or better) spec isnt "that" expensive afterall.

The prices Lee posted were for 2nd hand parts so you are still building up a 2nd hand engine.

If you were rebuilding with all brand new parts then maybe.

alan b
05-12-07, 02:02 PM
i have found a corsa with a c20let in it, pistons 2 and 3 are funked. he says the gasket went and the sealing rings fell off and damaged the pistons.! could i use second hand pistons?

Adam
05-12-07, 05:37 PM
Depends if there standard sized pistons, and whether the bores are damaged.

The Simps
05-12-07, 05:53 PM
If you're buying a non-running LET I'd want to be buying it cheap. You have no idea whether it smokes, turbo funked or anything.

alan b
05-12-07, 06:00 PM
its very cheap at the moment thats why im considering it!, a friend of mine saw the car about a month ago, it was for sale, apperently the enigne was perfect in it he just wanted too much money for it. now this happened yer man wants rid. im going to look at it on friday, it sounds to me like the gasket went between 2 and 3 and started missing, when he took the head off there was det marks on the pistons and he thinks the gasket damaged them, the marks are tiny, hopefully the bores are ok.