PDA

View Full Version : Driveshafts - 2 Litre 16v

Sid
04-07-02, 12:29 PM
Quote by Barnes

drive shafts, well nova gte ones with mk2 astra big block 1600 inners fit an f20 and them cv's are how much ste???? cheap????? yep u guessed it. dril spot weld of drivers side mount off and re-weld 1.5 inch lower and grind lip off back nova mount then thats the mounts.

I emailed the PNG, this was the reply from Mark Watts:

"Driveshafts. You can use Just Novas or Mann. I have used Courtenay Sport ones in my turbo conversion so can recommend these to you.

If you use Courtenay Shafts then you will need Astra Inner CV's as the driveshafts are bigger (i.e. Astra size diameter). You will then need to get Astra Outers as the courtenay shafts are the same thickness at each end. The outer CV's need to be machined so they can be pressed into the Nova Hubs.

Some people use driveshafts that taper at the outer end to nova CV thickness with Astra CV size at the other end. I don't recommend this. I have used the Courtenay Shafts and had astra cv's machined to fit nova hubs and it has worked for me.

For Contact Info go to www.courtenaysport.co.uk

Hope this helps.

Regards

Mark Watts
www.pccuk.net
www.nova16vturbo.co.uk

Technical information given in this email is deemed accurate at time of sending. No liability is accepted by the writer or Performance Car Clubs Ltd for any loss, damage, injury or consequential loss, damage or injury howsoever caused by following any technical advice given"

So, is what Barnes says easy for a garage to do? how reliable and DURABLE will those shafts be? if so, do I get the inner and outer CV's etc new from Vaux?

or is Mark Watts suggestion any good? (I think I know the answer to this!)

Ste_Nova
04-07-02, 02:52 PM
i think you know the answer... Courtenay don't make driveshafts :roll:

Sid
04-07-02, 03:29 PM
I just phoned Courtenay... Tel: 01692 404313

They have been making driveshafts for around 7-8 years. The guy was surprised that I asked the question ...said they've sold hundreds.

Outer Nova CV, with Inner Astra CV is ?325 for pair (?305 with PNG discount) + ?13 p&p.

What Mark Watts has used is the big block Astra Outer and Inner ...more suitable for cars going over 200 bhp, alot more stronger.
That is ?525.

Though they said they used their own pinnk chequered Nova on the Nova tapered shafts (1st option) for quite some time at over 200 bhp.
(They've changed to the bigger ones now though).

Just Nova's
Do the same as what Courtenay do (outer Nova CV / Inner Astra CV)
for ?225, or ?240 delivered to my door.
GUARANTEED for 6 months upto 239 bhp!

Own make ...as Barnes said,
GSi shafts with Astra inners welded on ...how durable is this???
and what would it cost for me to get some1 to do it?

Ste_Nova
04-07-02, 03:34 PM
I just phoned Courtenay... Tel: 01692 404313

They have been making driveshafts for around 7-8 years. The guy was surprised that I asked the question ...said they've sold hundreds.

do they fuck!!! they get the shafts from mann/martin tinker

Sid
04-07-02, 03:53 PM
I told them I was part of a website and thats why I was asking. (didnt say Novaload tho). Maybe u should phone them and put them right :x

So Ste, Courtenay are out of the equation.

Quote from www.valvers.com

The preferred method is to use the larger Astra/Cav outer CV joints. If you haven't heard of people snapping driveshafts, or stripping CV's, you soon will. HDZ 5787 got some driveshafts with Nova outer CV's. Because they were offered with the engine, and I didn't like to refuse ;)

These are available from various places, like Just Novas (?225 excluding CV's), etc.

The favoured ones are manufactured by Mann Transmissions. They go for around ?150/pr. You can then use Astra/Cav inner and outers. But you will also need to get either your own hubs machined, or you'll have to get some new hubs, which have already been machined for the larger CV's These stack up to around ?150/pr too.

The large shafts are available from Mann Transmissions directly (?300/pr) or you can get both the driveshafts, and hubs from Performance Vauxhall Developments.

So Mann do the larger shafts for ?300 pair, whereas Courtenay sell on for ?525?? :evil:

Sid
04-07-02, 05:09 PM
Do driveshafts differ in size?
or is it just the Outer CV's that differ in size???

(its another one of my confusing moments now!)
- so I need driveshafts,
- AND CV's, (these are sold seperately?)
- maybe new hubs?? (I read that somewhere)

Help me!! Whats the ideal conversion, already done.
I need info. Maybe all this should be written up on the site etc, for muppets like me? The complete 2L 16v guide.

Sid
04-07-02, 07:57 PM
I accidentally deleted this post ...was trying to delete the duplicate entry I did ...so I am bringing it back to life in the hope it will re-appear in the forum!

barnes
04-07-02, 08:53 PM
coutenay and regal blah blah blah buy there shafts from a company called man transmissions at scitch corner then sell em for over 100 pound more than he does in the first place. all these so called courtenay shafts will be stamped at the end with the word man. trust me and ste, we know.

man trans shafts, ie the exact shafts courtenay sell, and dont make, are about 200 quid. nova outer and astra inner. i agree that these arent 100% reliable, but ive never ever ever had a problem, and i mean ever and ive put close to 200bhp through em, no bother at all.

the other ones are the astra inner and outer ones. these are suppose to be indestructable like.

the option i said is the quick 5 quid routine. ive seen novas get hammered up and down at crail with this method in and no problems at all.

buy what you want and spend the money how you want, but im telling you this for sure, dont ever buy anything of courtenay or regal, coz they are far too expansive.

tell him ste, lol

as for reliability, well do courtenay say there shafts will last for ever?? do drive shafts last for ever? ,ark watts says this and that etc, aint he the bloke that had his whole car built by courtenay????? what else is he gonna say. i built mine with a mate, ste built his, you get the picture????? we aint into sponsorship, although it would be nice.............

astra inners for f20 box, and nova outers for ur hubs, reliable, cheaper from man trans, work fine. end of story????

barnes
04-07-02, 08:54 PM
coutenay and regal blah blah blah buy there shafts from a company called man transmissions at scitch corner then sell em for over 100 pound more than he does in the first place. all these so called courtenay shafts will be stamped at the end with the word man. trust me and ste, we know.

man trans shafts, ie the exact shafts courtenay sell, and dont make, are about 200 quid. nova outer and astra inner. i agree that these arent 100% reliable, but ive never ever ever had a problem, and i mean ever and ive put close to 200bhp through em, no bother at all.

the other ones are the astra inner and outer ones. these are suppose to be indestructable like.

the option i said is the quick 5 quid routine. ive seen novas get hammered up and down at crail with this method in and no problems at all.

buy what you want and spend the money how you want, but im telling you this for sure, dont ever buy anything of courtenay or regal, coz they are far too expansive.

tell him ste, lol

as for reliability, well do courtenay say there shafts will last for ever?? do drive shafts last for ever? ,ark watts says this and that etc, aint he the bloke that had his whole car built by courtenay????? what else is he gonna say. i built mine with a mate, ste built his, you get the picture????? we aint into sponsorship, although it would be nice.............

astra inners for f20 box, and nova outers for ur hubs, reliable, cheaper from man trans, work fine. end of story????

barnes
04-07-02, 09:00 PM
drive shafts for 16v conversions can come as the folowng

astra inners and nova outers - shaft is tapered to fit nova cv

astra inners and outers - hub machined to fit astra bearing

cav big block 1600 cv's - std gte nova shafts

the cv's you really should be getting when buying the engine mate, i wouldnt part with coin for an engine (2litre 16v) unless it came with brakes and gte shafts, ie so you get the cv's off em, and use your own nova cv's.

phone up courtenay, tell em barnes sent you. they wont have a clue what ur going on about, but it will make me laff a bit.

come on ste, dig him out the number for man trans. only way to shut him and others up. phone up man trans and ask him if he makes drive shafts for courtenay, lol. when i went to pick mine up he was busy making an order for courtenay of 5 pairs, lol, he even showed the invoice from courtenay, lol.

ah well, coz it says courtenay and they charge a lot it must be good, lol, feck me, id pay there prices only if the stuff came gold plated with diamonds on

Sid
05-07-02, 09:42 AM
Cheers Barnes!
I know Courtenay are expensive, I have found out they are downright liars too!
Dont worry, I wouldnt buy anything from them.

So u dont think the Just Nova shafts are worthy? They are like Mann, but guaranteed up to 239bhp for 6 months, so if they snap they will replace them without quibble. ?225.

I was looking for the number for Mann Transmissions, but can't find it... anyone got it please?

Either way I need to get the inner CV's (they don't come with the driveshafts do they?) I bought my engine from another Nova owner who kept the other bits for his next conversion.

Matt Finary
05-07-02, 12:45 PM
can you make driveshafts using cav 1600 Big block CV's and nova gte driveshafts? are astra 1600 big block the same? 8)

barnes
05-07-02, 01:48 PM
yup, mk1 astra inner cv's fit a f20 and onto a nova gte shaft. thats what everyone is going on about.

who guarantee there shafts up to what bhp?????? bollox. sorry, but they can snap with std power mate

Ian
05-07-02, 01:50 PM
ok seeig as your still confused.... :roll:

mann transmissions make 2 kinds of shafts (which they will sell direct and to courtenay)

normal shafts and heavy duty shafts

normal are astra shafts machined down at end to nova thickness and splines put on so u can use nova outer cvs

I have snapped 2 of these, i do not recommend.

heavy duty astra thickness shafts(thicker than nova ones) but shortned u use an astra outer cv but will require hubs maching to fit.

just novas they actually use nova gte shafts and mk2 cav 1.6 big block inner cvs but sell as 2.0 shafts.

this is what i run with no probs so far, touch wood. do this much easier, get yourself some nova gte shafts (theres 2 kinds) and some mk2 cav inner cvs these will then fit an f20 box and a nova hub no hassle.

dont go buying from just novas cos u can make yourself.

barnes
05-07-02, 01:55 PM
see, barnes says as storey says and he is your novaload semi god status bloke aparantly.

worchip me you petty fools, lol.

ill dig around the scrappy for some astra big block 1600 cv's tomorrow. if u wanna buy em let me know, lol.

barnes would like to point out a rather large boat heading towards the shore carrying immigrants. oh no, beached kurdistanians. thats not good. small print, barnes accepts no responsibility of the above statement, it was written by a trained pigeon wearing sneakers

Ian
05-07-02, 02:02 PM
:lol:

well it makes sense to do as you me and ste have said but he's not listening lol emailing mark wats hahaaha

barnes get some shafts while your there too then sell him the patented "Barnessport tuning 2.0 16v nova shafts" a bargain to you at ?250. comes complete with 2 yrs guarantee*

*yrs in this case means yards, thats yards from barnes front door.

barnes
05-07-02, 02:23 PM
lol, barnessport, i dig that, lol. witty as fuk

yeah mate pattented barnessport conversion driveshafts ill sell you

not to be confused with stesport shafts are storeysport shafts, lol

Sid
22-07-02, 07:30 PM
After re-reading it all, it all makes sense!! LOL
(I'll mention u all in any mag feature ...ha ha thats the vibe of the forum right now, aint it :lol: ...as if my junk will ever get fixed!)

I've got hold of some Nova GTE driveshafts ...u said there's 2 kinds (Ian) ...whats the difference please??

I now need the Mk2 Cav/Astra inner CV's...