PDA

View Full Version : Moving The Alternator For 40's

cornish
03-07-02, 03:29 PM
Do i need to move the alternator when i stick the 40's onto my 1.4SR? It looks like it will be in the way of the inlet manifold, is this right?

Do i just need to make up a bracket, lower the alternator, and run a smaller belt?

Ste_Nova
03-07-02, 05:54 PM
see here

http://www.fletch2.freeserve.co.uk/

sport pack fitting guide

CP
03-07-02, 09:06 PM
Yep its one of the hidden costs of the 40's - you do need a new alternator mount. You will also need to make up an extended adjusting arm for it and you will need to try several belts in order to get one that fits.
Also when mounting the 40's on the manifold make sure you use the moulded all in one gasket and O ring designed kit with nylock nuts - the other version is a pile of wank and is thicker pushing the carbs nearer to the bulkhead. You need 50mm clearance between the trumpets and the bulkhead so i would strip off the sound deadening if I were you. You will also need an adjustable fuel pressure regulator.

cornish
03-07-02, 09:43 PM
Right, i knew about the fuel pressure regulator and had intended on removing the sound deadening, but i'm still not sure about this alternator bracket? Do you have any pics of it CP? I take it it is not possible to get the bracket from Vauxhall even though it came with the Nova Sport?

I read in Total Vauxhall that the belt i need is made by Belco and is part number RH850 (9.5mm x 850mm) does this sound about right?

barnes
04-07-02, 09:10 PM
you wont get it from vauxhall at all creg car with 502 made, u think they have bits for them lying around??

its very hard to get the bracket to lower the altinator on its own, most places sell it with the manifold. took me 3 hours of phoning everywhere to get one. got one second hand from peter llyod rallying n the end.