PDA

View Full Version : Short block work

Mike
29-11-07, 05:12 PM
My E16SE is now reduced to a short block. So, bar a balanced bottom end and the sump thourogly cleaned out/new sump gasket anyone have any other worth while information regarding anything else I may be worth doing/modifying whilst in im the area?

Also, Ive read through the works manual at the engine spec in there, they remove the breather pipe from the block to the rocker cover? Anyone see any reason as to wether this would be beneficial to a road car?

Mike.

Adam
29-11-07, 05:56 PM
They block the breather off completely on Group-A cars. They put a plate over the outlet on the block, something to do with crank design throwing a lot of oil up the breather at high rpm's.
Chris Astley used to have his grp-A type engine, with the breather blocked and said it was fine to do iirc.

Mike
29-11-07, 06:06 PM
Super duper, ive got 10sq ft of 3mm stainless steel, so i can make up some blanking plates no problem :D

peester
29-11-07, 06:07 PM
Ide at least fit ARP conrod bolts.
Ideally:
Getting the blocked decked and bores honed with new shells/seals and putting arp's on the conrods (whilst they get shot-peen'd/blasted) and polishing or grinding the crank will rebuild the bottom end like new - any history of missed services, poor oil etc etc will be wiped out. Say hello to a guartenteed 100bhp and (almost like) 00000 on the clock again.
Pay upwards of ?400.