PDA

View Full Version : best tyres, but cheap???

Ricky G
26-11-07, 09:50 PM
as some people know im starting to race a nova at a banger track. basicly it is on concrete but it does get alot of grip in the dry. what tyres are best to use? they have to be road going tyres and no yoko's or performence related tyres. so i wanna know what are the best tyres you lot use on the road. also they will only be going on standard sr rims.
may seem a pointless question but if it helps me win then its worth asking.

Stuart
26-11-07, 09:54 PM
so you cant use yoko A021's ?

what tyre or more to the point, rim size are they (width)

adam c
26-11-07, 09:57 PM
they have to be road going tyres and no yoko's or performence related tyres.
i dont really understand:confused: what do they class as a performance related tyre?like road legal track tyres?if so i use toyo proxes t1-r's on my nova and they grip well.

Ricky G
26-11-07, 09:58 PM
nope i dont think so.
the rules say steel wheels and alloys not to exceed 6j. does that mean anything to you? sorry thats as much as i know for now.

Ricky G
26-11-07, 10:00 PM
i dont really understand:confused: what do they class as a performance related tyre?like road legal track tyres?if so i use toyo proxes t1-r's on my nova and they grip well.
Steel or alloy wheels not to exceed 6J. Standard road tyres only. No racing or competition tyres. No Hoosier or R suffix Yokohama tyres.

thats what it sais word for word in the rule book.

Stuart
26-11-07, 10:14 PM
ahh no A020's then...

hmmm you need something soft, cheap and nasty. unfortunately they are rare.

ahhhhhhhhhhhh ha!!!!! soft and cheap. Look for non studded winter tyres. Wont last tooo long but will definately a soft compound.

Jack
27-11-07, 08:24 AM
Aren't R888's road legal?

Depends how cheap you want really.

Stuart
27-11-07, 08:58 AM
R888's are R rated and therefore competition tyres... (probably)

Matt2107
27-11-07, 01:14 PM
[quote=Ricky G]im starting to race a nova at a banger track. quote]

Surely if its a banger track then you're not gonna be interested in buying brand new tyres?

Jack
27-11-07, 01:58 PM
Tyre choice can win or lose a race though.

Ricky G
27-11-07, 06:06 PM
[quote=Ricky G]im starting to race a nova at a banger track. quote]

Surely if its a banger track then you're not gonna be interested in buying brand new tyres?
i used to race a mini when i was 15 and always lost to the same lad. so i set my car up in every way the same as his except the 1 thing i couldnt afford TYRES!!! he was always quicker on the corners cos he had the grip. so im pretty sure its down to tyres and thats why i wanna set of new ones. speaking to a local tyre company about a sponser at the moment so hopefully will get them on the cheap.

bryantrials
27-11-07, 06:21 PM
have you tryed kumho's ?

The ecsta sport or the MX are good tyers and cheep ish (?30-35 ea)

Andrew

Jack
27-11-07, 06:34 PM
have you tryed kumho's ?

The ecsta sport or the MX are good tyers and cheep ish (?30-35 ea)
No no no no no no no no no no no no

Kumho = Death. Ash can probably vouch for how bad my Celica was handling on Sunday, thats on Ecstas lol

dannyb
27-11-07, 06:49 PM
No no no no no no no no no no no no

Kumho = Death. Ash can probably vouch for how bad my Celica was handling on Sunday, thats on Ecstas lol

You have to bear in mind that your experience is with the Kuhmo tyres attached to a high power, 4WD, homologation rally course refugee, not a light little FWD Nova lol

Jack
27-11-07, 07:08 PM
Yeah, but as Stu has pointed out before they'd probably be worse on a lighter car. And I drive like a grandad.

And 4WD doesn't really suffer torque steer like a fwd would...

dannyb
27-11-07, 07:21 PM
And I drive like a grandad
As do I now that I've got rid of the Nova, we must be getting old lol:thumb:

I found the Kum - hos KU31s to be a reasonable tyre for the first 6000 miles, then they get very poor indeed in the wet, its a very soft compound though and a lot of dry weather tyre for your money.

Stuart
27-11-07, 07:48 PM
KU31's are V popular with us gay mid engine lot :)

Matt2107
27-11-07, 09:05 PM
You have to bear in mind that your experience is with the Kuhmo tyres attached to a high power, 4WD, homologation rally course refugee, not a light little FWD Nova lol

My brothers Mk1 Golf GTI handles extremely well on Kuhmo Ecsta

Ste L
28-11-07, 05:51 PM
i used to have Khumo KU30's on my old valver nova, and i couldn't fault the tyre's, nice and grippy in the dry, wet wasn't too bad either