PDA

View Full Version : Rear Disks

BAD ASStra
01-07-02, 06:24 PM
Does anyone know if it is possable to fit rear disks off of something elce on to a Nove Gte without to much work. I know on a Fiesta you can just change the Stub Axel's, and the rear disks from an RS2000 will fit straight on.

Just wondered

Cheers

Lewis

?Marty?
02-07-02, 12:57 AM
Yeah mate, same thing (more or less) with the Nova. There was a guide in Total Vauxhall magazine (as far as i remember, you can get back issues too - or find a guide on the net).

You would use the rear disc set-up from an Astra GTE. let me know if you need more info. (i think i have the mag, i can scan it in and e-mail you if required).

Steve.sri
02-07-02, 07:53 PM
i wouldn't mind a copy of that...

brian
02-07-02, 08:32 PM
there aren't any discs from Astra GSi's or GTE's that bolt on to a Nova. the stub axle is different on a Nova. you have to mod your own stub or buy a mounting kit. there are mod'd rear beams that can be bought too :mrgreen:

?Marty?
08-07-02, 05:51 PM
You can get modded rear beams with discs and calipers, and etc for around ?200 (secondhand).

I'll post the guide tonight after i return from ragging my bird. If i remember.

nova dosed
09-07-02, 01:20 AM
Ay up i enquired about rear disks a dfew months ago. I cnt remember where it was but u can buy a brand new rear beam off a company for ?251 fully loaded with disks and the conver (dont ask why the ?1 they didnt know) any waybthey fit straight on. best of it is i think a brand new beam from vaux is the same price with naff all on i know what id go for let me know how u go on

?Marty?
11-07-02, 02:59 AM
YOU WILL NEED:

- the rear beam/discs/pipes from a GTE 16v Astra (E-J) (recommended, but rare and expensive). Alternatively you can use the rear set-up from a Mk 3 Cavalier (1.8 or 2.L, not 1.6) ---> using this beam you will have to remove a handbrake cable bracket from the original beam and weld it onto the new beam, an item which is already inplace on the 16 valve one.

- a new Astra 16 valve handbrake cable.

HOW TO DO IT:

1 - Jack car up. Remove rear wheels. (good idea is to bleed the brake system). Undo the shocks at the bottom and allow the suspension to drop down.

2 - Cut the handbrake cables. Not much point in disconnecting as it'll be no use on the replacement beam.

3 - Using a 19mm socket/spanner undo the main beam bolts. Push the bolt out with some kind of punch, but leave the punch there for the time being.

4 - Disconnect the brake pipes. The top flexible part is retained. First remove the security clip with a screwdriver, then the 9mm connecting bolt attached to the bracket on the beam.

5 - Remove the punch and pull the entire beam down and out.

6 - Fit better/bigger/performance discs/pads and etc to your new beam now, if necessary.

7 - Move the new beam into position. Replace the main beam securing bolt, but don't do it up tight as you'll need a bit of movement to carry out other steps first.

8 - Reconnect the metal brake pipes (already fitted to beam) to the flexible brake pipes that were left behind from the old system. You will probably need to enlarge the hole on the bracket that they need to be fed through - use a file. Replace the securing clip.

9 - Reconnect the bottom of the shock to the beam.

10 - Remove the remaining part of the handbrake cable with a 13mm spanner (located next to the center exhaust box). Pull out the cable, but don't snap off the retaining clips, or you'll need to cable-tie on the new handbrake cable.

11 - With the new brake cable, the longest (black) wire goes to the drivers side, and the other (grey) cable goes to the passengers side. Connect the end by the exhaust box first then feed the cables over the exhaust pipe to the rear beam to connect.

12 - It goes through the bracket on the beam and just clips onto the back of the caliper assembly. There's also a fiddly spring that hooks on behind it (two holes in disc guard) to hold the end of the cable in place.
You then need to adjust the handbrake cable by playing with the adjustment bit (alongside the center exhaust box) until you pull on the handbrake and can't move the disc with your hands.

13 - Add new brake fluid and bleed the system.

Magic. Or you can pay Courtenay ?600 to supply and fit the conversion for you. Yeah right! 8)