PDA

View Full Version : cams

spanishfly
01-07-02, 06:00 PM
ok i'm looking into cams atm...
set up will be ported and polished head ashley 4-branch plus system twins 40's and the cam..
was thinking courteney high torque then had another thought of a piper 285 one, then why don't i just ask A-N-T, CP or MC :lol: one of them will know!! So can u help??? :)

Slatter
01-07-02, 06:10 PM
Yor spec is gonna be the same as mine..
Im just waiting to have the head done, got 40's on there.

Ive got a few cams which ive had in various 1.3 engines... of which blew up :roll:

Got a PMC one the other day with vernieer pully cant exactly remember wot number it is. Im gonna get this cam in soon.

Ive also got a very um lairy cam. Blown 2 of my engines up :oops: It dont cut in till 5000 and then i had it reving till 8000. i hear u say no wonder it blew up.. i know. This was with a 32/34 carb.

I also have another milder one havnt had it in car for a year dunno wot it is but not standard.

U had yours on rollers yet ?

How much was your exhaust system with the 4 branch ???

SLatter

spanishfly
01-07-02, 07:32 PM
i haven't put it all on yet!! lookin for carbs had a mail today 145 webber 40's posted! cam got to order! head got to do!! trying my own head for now!! wanna get a blydenst...whatever it is, but there expensive so home mad it is.... for now!!!:)

cornish
01-07-02, 08:03 PM
Sounds similar to mine aswell, running 40's when i finally getting the inlet manifold :/ got a Janspeed 4-1 manifold with straight-through centre pipe and replica Nova Sport backbox from Ashley (in the post atm :))

I paid ?80 for the manifold and centre section (2nd hand) and ?70 for the backbox new. I got the 40's in return for 1 Weber 45 and couple of jets and venturis ('bout ?60 in parts for the 45's). Inlet manifold was ?50 almost new.

I'm looking for a cam at the moment, possibly going for the Kent Cams replica of the Nova Sport cam which is 298 degree, but might go for something with a smaller duration. I understand that the Courtenay high torque cam is just a regrind of a Piper Fast road cam??

Let me know how you get on bud cos i need to find a decent cam asap!

Slatter are you selling any of the old cams you got?

There was a guy on Mig selling a rally cam with a vernier pulley for ?100 if that any use to ya spanishfly.

spanishfly
01-07-02, 08:08 PM
slatter i wanna order one tommorrw u got msn if so add me :)

cornish
01-07-02, 08:14 PM
Forgot to mention i should be running my own spec cylinder head aswell when i finally get round to sorting it out, i'll match the inlet ports to the manifold and generally bring the throats out a bit, clean the combustion chambers up aswell, and then smooth the exhaust ports out but not make them any bigger, i'll post some pics of them up when i do it.

spanishfly
01-07-02, 08:23 PM
yes exactly what i'm going to do!!! i got tips today from motor tech (my company use them, oh yes so does courteney)

add me msn please!

CP
02-07-02, 09:50 AM
I got on well with a Piper 285 running in a Blydenstein large valve head.

Here's what they supply for Vaux 1.4/1.6 8 v engines:

1. 270 Fast rd. Power band - 2-6.5krpm. +6bhp. Duration 272 deg.both valves. Lift 11.29mm both valves.

2. 270 Fast rd for 1.4 Sri. Power band - 2-6krpm. +10bhp. Duration 268 deg. both valves. Lift 11.29mm both valves

3. 285 Road/rally for use with twin 40's. Power band 2.2-6.8krpm. +14bhp. Duration 280 deg. both valves. Lift 12.37mm both

4. 300 Rally. Power band 2.8-7.5krpm. +?hp Duration 300deg both. Lift 12.06mm both

5 320 Road/rally Power band3-7.8krpm +?hp Duration 320 deg inlet 300 deg Exhuast. Lift 12.79mm inlet 11.68mm oulet

They do 2 others for the 1.3 and 1.4 stock racers both 320's.

I've heard good things about enem cams but are pricey apparently.

Personally with the tune states that you are expecting to run on and bearing in mind these are still wholly cars for road use I would go for the 285 but a 300 might be worth a look if you didn't mind having to jump down a gear all the time to get into the power band. My present engine is very peaky - there's nothing at all until 4,000. You have to be change your driving style thats all. Its no use to be expecting to boot it at lows revs and get an instant response.

Just one thing about porting out the 1.4 head - be very careful not to grind thru the water jacket that protrudes into the inlet gallery.

spanishfly
02-07-02, 08:55 PM
thanx c.p everything calrified :D u know i will be contacting u some more :) as long as u don't mind that is!!