PDA

View Full Version : making a tidy engine bay?

greg1.4
20-11-07, 05:33 PM
just looking for some tips on how to make a clean/tidy engine bay..

i have a shiny black engine bay with a red OMP strut brace, nicely painted up silver engine but hate the look of wires and pipes everywhere.. its a sr so there isnt alot of wires.. also fuel lines look horrible.. thought about re-routing them and using braided hose..any other ideas?

also when re-spraying how do i measure what hardener/paint etc i put in..

as when i sprayed my nova i dont think i used enough hardener..

is there a ratio or something? paint, hardener and thinners?

cheers,
Greg

Adam
20-11-07, 05:36 PM
Cover the wiring loom with new insulation tape.
Replace the fuel lines....

Pass on the paint question.

lee coley
20-11-07, 05:37 PM
yep all paint as a different ratio like

3;1;10% thinner
3;1;15% thinner
etc

The Simps
20-11-07, 05:48 PM
Replaces the fuel lines with braided, not that expensive from somewhere like Pirtek.

Either lengthen and hide/re-route the wires or put them into conduit like modern cars. U can buy conduit or just take some off a car in a scrappy.

michael squeak
20-11-07, 09:08 PM
depends what paint you use mate. when my mate sprayed mine in his body shop he used 2pak andthe ratio was 2 parts paint to 1 part activater to 1 part thinners.
for example 2 inches paint 1 inch activaer and 1 inch thinners it
will work out diffrent if your using a tapered pot
hope this helps you

greg1.4
21-11-07, 10:28 AM
i will be using 2k (2pack)..

so if i put 2 inches of paint in, then an inch of 2k hardener and a inch of thinners??

didnt think you needed much thinners atall??

does anyone actually do spraying and can tell me a good ratio or how much to put in..

or someone who has painted there car and came out well..

how much paint, hardener and thinners did you use?

cheers,
Greg

Welsh Dan
21-11-07, 11:14 AM
The 'really tidy' engine bays have the washer bottle, header tank, coil etc.. moved into the scuttle, and have a scuttle cover to hide them.

craig green
21-11-07, 01:27 PM
Surely the paint supplier would have accurate info regards to the mixing process?

Smooth in the inner wings for a proper smooth look.

Lengthen the wires & run them in conduit behind the wings.

michael squeak
21-11-07, 04:18 PM
they were the amounts the lad used to spray my car
2 parts paint
1 patr activater
1 part thinners it came out prety good aswell,
just have a practice onan old wing or somthing see how it turns out .

lee coley
21-11-07, 05:53 PM
all different paint as different ratios you can buy a medium solid direct gloss that will be 3;1 from one place then you can buy a different make from another place that can 2;1 also they will require different levels of thinner,

is it ms or hs? what make is it?let me no and i will find out for you.

novaco
25-11-07, 02:01 PM
As craig said smooth the chasis legs and bulkeadh for the ultimate smooth look, re-route wires down the inner wings, move coile and washer bottle etc..so everything is hid and when the bonnet is open all you can see is the lump..

as for paint..go to a paint factors and buy some measuring/mixing cups and a measuring stick..10p each or similar for cups and about a quid for a stick/stirer(sp)..makes life alot easier..

http://i8.photobucket.com/albums/a50/novaco/cups.jpg

hey presto..does exactly what it says on the tin...(or cup)