PDA

View Full Version : e16se management ??

pul16v
20-11-07, 05:08 PM
how does it actually work without it haveing a lamda sensor or any way of it knowing what its doing (eg) mapo sensor im looking for an in depth explanation rather than it just gives a set ammount of fuel per ammount of air messured thought the air flow meter

oh and does anyone know how much the air flow meter can handle before its maxed out ( dont like that saying but it gets accorss what im asking lol )

cheers guys

phil

Adam
20-11-07, 05:12 PM
Air flow meter mate.
It measures the amount of air, and injects the corrct amount of fuel to give a correct afr for that specific rev/load/tps amount.
Add to that adjustments for coolant sensor(engine temp), incoming air temp, due to those factors affecting the fuel requirements. :)

In basic anyway.

Afm "maxxed out"
How?

craig green
20-11-07, 05:13 PM
Its mapped to squirt enough juice depending on the throttle position, measured air entering via AFM & perhaps revs/dizzy.

Its pretty basic tbh.

Adam
20-11-07, 05:15 PM
Its pretty basic tbh.
Very

No closed loop system
No knock sensor
etc

craig green
20-11-07, 05:16 PM
If the engine somehow gained a huge amount of extre volumetric efficiency & gulped in lots of air, the gate on the AGFM would/could theoretically meet its end of travel.

At the end of the day, the engine only needs more fuel if you can get it to swallow more air. That means cams, big valves or forced induction.

I'm no expert here tbh.

pul16v
20-11-07, 05:17 PM
Afm "maxxed out"
How?

well im wating to know what it can handle as i know its used on turbo engines so it can handle flowing more air than a n/a 1.6 just wanting to know how far it can go before it isnt meassureing air flow and or can it go detween 0-infinerty not quite sure how the flap type airflow meters work

has that made any sence at all lol

phil

Adam
20-11-07, 05:24 PM
Aye i get you.
But i cant answer your question, as ive never heard of it happening before.
It does sound logical tho.

A "proper" turbo'd 1600 8v would be running aftermarket management anyhow, so you'll ditch the afm.

craig green
20-11-07, 05:25 PM
I dont think it maxes out as such, not like hot wire AFM's can, besides you could strengthen the spring tension on the gate, & if you really wanted get it remapped to suit.

The std management can cope with extra fuelling & demand etc hence it doesnt max out when people fit cams, head work, K&Ns etc.

My old turbo'd setup ran upto 12psi with no issues as such.

craig green
20-11-07, 05:26 PM
A "proper" turbo'd 1600 8v would be running aftermarket management anyhow, so you'll ditch the afm.

It is actually mappable, but anyone spending upwards of a grand in doing so is pretty crazy tbh.

pul16v
20-11-07, 05:44 PM
well if youve not heard of it not copeing and if craigs managed 12psi with out any probs it should be ok for what im wanting was yours with just the std 4 injectors craig ??
also do you know anything else about the mapping of the ecu or have you just heard about it ?

phil

Adam
20-11-07, 05:49 PM
What are your plans?

pul16v
20-11-07, 06:05 PM
lol you will say why bother but its what i want

im wanting to build a 1.8 8v small block but cnt go standalone at the moment due to ?? but ive got the parts and my e16se wants a rebuild anyway so was trying to work out if the system could put up with the cc increase wile i save for differnt management for it what you guys recone so far i dont see why it wouldnt work

phil

Mike
20-11-07, 08:02 PM
Hmm, the bhp you'll gain from an extra 200cc is going to around 5. Maybe.

Ask yourself if its really worth it prior to going any further.

craig green
21-11-07, 01:23 PM
I've read about someone over boring the smallblock 1.6 to nearly 1800 for race use. IIRC (I may be wrong) you can use the old big block 1.6 pistons to get near 1.8, however the wall thickness between bores becomes rather thin & the chap actually ruined quite a few blocks in the process.

If you were thinking of turbocharging it, the block will definately be too thin in terms of strength & thermal properties. Bear in mind an XE/LET is deemed too thin when overbored by 2mm for forced induction, even though the pistons exist in those diameters.

There are lots of 1.8 smallblock XE's about (vectras, zafiras, corsas & astras etc) that are far better suited to being F/I due to having a long stroke. The piston speeds are much higher & thus you can run more ign advance which results in more power if mapped accordingly.