PDA

View Full Version : Lots of exhaust fumes! (Video)

Iain
20-11-07, 10:56 AM
Video of car running here (http://www.iainel.co.uk/files/keep/Fumes.avi)

I've only noticed ths since the cold weather, so I don't know if it's normal or if it's highlighting a problem.

It runs fine and idles by itself, not noticed any drop in power, I've checked for gooey oil, oil in coolant etc which seems to be okay so it shouldn't be a headgasket failure? (It is losing coolant (only a few mm a day) but I believe there's a leak in the system.)

So anything that could be causing this excessive amount of fumes/moisture? I doubt the car behind me in traffic appreciates it. lol

Edit: Just seen bubbles of air escaping up in to the header tank. Will do a compression test later :(

Adam
20-11-07, 03:23 PM
You can get coolant into the cylinders, which then makes a lot of fumes/moisture, WITHOUT the oil system having any symptoms of hg failure.

Its normal for quite a bit of exhaust moisture this time of year, but it should have completely cleared within a few miles.

If coolants going down, without leaks, HG's probably gone between water way and cylinder.

Adam
20-11-07, 03:38 PM
Hmm, just seen the vid, and yeah it looks like HG gone.
If the engine was warm, and its not really cold today. Thats a LOT of condesation.

tom reid
20-11-07, 05:31 PM
Iain, was the engine cold or hot on the video?

Iain
20-11-07, 05:42 PM
It should have been hot as it had been driven up to temperature a few minutes before I took the video.

Can bring it round later if you want to have a look :thumb: I don't think it's just general cold morning moisture.

tom reid
20-11-07, 06:10 PM
Well, if the H/G gone, you know what that means, big valve head and bike carbslol:thumb:

mikey14sr
20-11-07, 07:03 PM
Defo a dead HG from my point of view, as said above, between a cylinder and the water system. Will have been caused by corrosion of the head.