PDA

View Full Version : Cam Belt snapped

zola
19-11-07, 04:25 PM
Cambelt snapped on my GTE, great!

Are you supposed to hear a sound from the engine when it snaps as mine just cut out and heard nothing grind etc...?

I thought it was something else, until I saw the belt gone.

Also, are there any signs I can check to tell if it's fooked?

Welsh Dan
19-11-07, 04:38 PM
Take the head off, see how the valves and pistons look. If they're ok then get yourself a new headgasket, cambelt and set of headbolts :thumb:.

mikey14sr
19-11-07, 04:49 PM
Take the rocker cover off, check that the followers are ok first. Then try turning the camshaft a little by hand, to make sure it's all moving ok. If the belt went at low revs and the above checks are ok you might have got away with it. High revs/speed and repeated attempts at starting it then it'll be best to pull the head for a better check.

craig green
19-11-07, 05:16 PM
I was going to say; try an inspection light & look down each plug hole.

If OK, wang a new belt on, time it up & turn it over by hand.

See if it runs & give it a compression test to see if its lost any compression via bent valves etc.

Hope for your sake its OK but I wont hold my breath tbh.

Adam
19-11-07, 05:22 PM
If you heard nothing, chances are you got away with it, unless its just clipped a valve or two.
Wack a new belt on and turn it over by hand with the rocker cover off, check everything seems to be moving ok.

Then id compression test it.

craig green
19-11-07, 05:28 PM
1.6SE's generally arent valve safe though IIRC.

G-MANS had his belt snap after Llandow & it ruined his top end.

Adam
19-11-07, 05:43 PM
Indeed.
He might have got lucky tho.

Ive seen apparently "valve safe" c14nz's break their belt and bend 4 valves.

BIGS
19-11-07, 06:30 PM
the cambelt just snapped on my 1.2. just put a new one on. and good as new

zola
20-11-07, 05:48 PM
Well I put a new cam belt on and done the timing as said and it fired up fine which I still can't believe.

Do I need to set anything else up as it seems to be idling just under 2k revs? Can the ignition timing go out or could it be something else?

Thanks for all your input by the way.

zola
20-11-07, 07:57 PM
Some advice would be great on the above?

Thanks in advance.

saloonwoody
20-11-07, 08:26 PM
have you timed it up spot on ?? does it run as smooth as it did ?? do a compression check .