PDA

View Full Version : Help what cv joints for xe?

womble sri
15-11-07, 08:02 PM
hi all have had a search and couldnt find anything to good i know this will have been asked and answered a thousand times.

my xe has striiped the splines out of my hubs the nut nearly came un done and wheel could of came off! the shafts are big power ones to take 300bhp and i have just bought some new conversion hubs off of chris astley. what cv joints do i use?

thanks

neil

philly
15-11-07, 08:05 PM
are you using the 22 spline set up or the uprated 25 spline ones?

either way they are for sale on ebay through an ebay shop similair to chris astley. griffin autosport or something

R1CH
15-11-07, 08:32 PM
You'll just need a std Outer CV joint from something like a Cav / Calibra / Astra GTE - GSi ... should be able to get one from a local motor factor, prefferably for a non-ABS car, if it comes with a ABS ring you'll just have to knock it off.

womble sri
15-11-07, 09:45 PM
right and what about inners? as the shafts im told are made to take 300bhp so would they be 22 or 25? what inner cv's are 25 spline i presume cav/cali/astra are 22? the car used to run a turbo and is using the same shafts so are they prob 25 spline?
cheers

neil

womble sri
15-11-07, 09:46 PM
sayin that the inners are probably ok as i could see the outer moving round and the wheel/hub was staying still also is it a hard job? are there any other parts other than bearings that i will need to replace? i.e. bottom ball joints?

R1CH
15-11-07, 10:13 PM
Inners will just be std parts from Cav / Calibra / Astra ect ... same cars as outers.
No need to replace bearings / ball joints when changing CV's ... unless there needing doing anyway.
Not a bad job to do, loosen off 30mm nut first, jack car up. remove wheel, then just remove the 2 bolts that hold tie bar / ball joint / bottom arm together, swing hub out of the way and remove outer CV from the hub (might need a tap with soft face hammer), then just give the shaft a pull to get it out the gearbox (might loose a little bit of gearbox oil).
Remove CV boots then theres a small circlip securing the joint to the shaft, prise the circlip apart (2 screw drivers / circlip pliers) then joint will just pull off.
New joint will just slide on and clip into place, then just a case of sticking it back togther, last thing to tighten will be the 30mm nut which needs to be FT !! (about 200nm or summet daft)

Rich

womble sri
15-11-07, 10:55 PM
thanks rich you have been most helpful so a set of cavvy outer will do the job as i will be able to use my old inners? which are ok. i am changing the hub as the splines on the old ones are shagged so as they have been turning i presume the splines on the hubs are on ther way or at least damaged. sorry if i sound stupid i have never taken these parts apart before but im sure it will all become clear once i have ago

paulnova
16-11-07, 02:23 AM
A friend of mine had the same thing happen to him, the uprated hub for using big cv's stripped of its splines! he had to fork out for another 2L conversion hub and new outer cv! he only had the XE in for a week!!lol

good luck with it mate, its a simple job to fix anyway :thumb: