PDA

View Full Version : 1.6 1.6 turbo??

Timmy
14-11-07, 11:16 PM
ok been thinging about what new engine to run in my nova after i get bored of my 1.68v.
before people say it now im not going to XE her. everyone does it and they are way too common, im not ogin mad with a LET or a V6. i was always keen on the idea of a 1.6 16v. out of a corsa, i would have to throttle body it .
i know from speaking to my friend they need to be high reved to make good power, which with the 16.16v oil starve is a problem,
i have a mate runing a very nice XE on TB astra which he is now bored and is building a LEt of sort. but not wanted to copy him i think i'm going to run a turbo lump but on the 1.6 16v engine.
useing the same sort of idea.
if people could help me with things like pistions?
how do you get compreshion low enough ?
does someone make manafolds for turbo for the c16xe?
i know the Genral had a tubro 1600
i am going to run a MBE mangment not mega squirt.

Adam
14-11-07, 11:49 PM
CR needs dropping quite a way, as they run a high-ish cr for a standard engine.
Proper forged pistons is the best way.
Or you could risk skimming the crowns of the standard pistons.

Keep with the standard cams.

As for manifolds, mvaux do/did, so they must be available.

Baxter had all the bits for a turbo'd 16v, but afaik it never got finished/ran.

Stuart
15-11-07, 09:46 AM
get over to vauxsport and find some baaaad ass parts suppliers. ok they wont be cheap but hell they will work well.

craig green
15-11-07, 10:41 AM
Whats with the oil starvation problem on 1.6 XE's?

Far easier to do it on the 8v I reckon & its going to be quite expensive on a 16v I'd imagine.

Theres an ad in TV that boasts of forged pistons & rods for big blocks & smallblocks, it mentions low CR pistons, so perhaps its worth a call to see if the pistons are available for the smallblocks in a low CR type.

If you are serious about it though, I've seen a nice tubular manifold for a LET made by Beardy, a custom one for a smallblock would be ?600 maybe? Worth it though, really well made with awesome attention to detail.

How about a Rotrex supercharger on a 16v, you wouldnt need to drop the CR, just fit the MBE & get it mapped. Maybe move the alternator to the front & find a big exh manifold to clear it. I'm tempted with that tbh.

Adam
15-11-07, 06:48 PM
The extra expense on the 16v is mainly if you swap the inlet. And probably having to move the rad to clear the turbo. Rest is pretty much same as a 8v.

Id say the standard inlet wont be too bad, with FI.
Then you can run the boost pipe over the gearbox like a Let.

Also, surely a 200sx turbo exhaust manifold(can be had for about ?100), with the flange swapped to suit a small block xe would work well?

Mike
15-11-07, 06:50 PM
Also, surely a 200sx turbo exhaust manifold(can be had for about ?100), with the flange swapped to suit a small block xe would work well?

Youve just given me an idea ;)

craig green
15-11-07, 10:02 PM
Unless the spacing of headers are too far apart & you cant bend it enough to meet your flange without it all buckling. Saying that a cheap 'ebay' SX manifold ought to be a nice supply of the relevant bends required.

Timmy
15-11-07, 10:43 PM
so pistions are avable for turbo 16v cool beans. and i geuss most of the other parts are as well. thats good to know will have to make a lisrt and keeping my eyes open and pick them up.

CG oil steraving at mega high revs heald at long periods of time. when pushing engine to the limets, I.E. 200+ bhp,
tar for the help i didnt under stand some of it but hopfully will in the furtucher

Adam
16-11-07, 12:00 AM
The standard crank is ok to 8500-ish rpm btw.
Above that and you start getting oil supply problems afaik.

R1CH
16-11-07, 12:15 AM

Is the port spacing on a small block not a fair bit narrower than an LET ?
You gotta persuade the runners on the 200sx manifold a fair bit to get them to line up on an LET so if a small blocks narrower then your not gonna get away with it to be honest.

Adam
16-11-07, 12:18 AM
No idea mate, could do with someone measuring a gasket.

Stuart
16-11-07, 08:38 AM
power and revs are seperate killer items.

ie you could (if possible) make 900bhp at 1000Rpm and the oil pump would cope fine..... OR 90bhp @ 10KRpm and the oil pump would peg it.

Timmy
16-11-07, 02:42 PM
the whole idea with running a turbo would be make better power and more touge at lower reves so not haveing to rev the balls off the engine

craig green
16-11-07, 03:42 PM
so pistions are avable for turbo 16v cool beans.

No, I kinda said the advert is misleading in that it says they might be...

Adam
16-11-07, 06:24 PM
Find a piston manufacturer/seller (chris astley sells them iirc), and just ask for a set made to a low Cr....

Adam
16-11-07, 06:40 PM
http://www.vauxhall-sport-forum.com/phpBB2/je-79mm-851-t4639.html