PDA

View Full Version : smokey stem seals

conad
13-11-07, 08:39 PM
hi everybody,

im interested in buying a nova turbo off a gentleman who has told be it smokes slightly on a cold idle, he claims its the stem seals! now what i want to know is whether this could cause any major problems to the rest of the engine an if so.... to what extent?

what type of price am i looking at to get them changed?

John
13-11-07, 08:41 PM
blue or white smoke?

conad
13-11-07, 08:46 PM
ooooh, i didnt get that far lol! he's called it, and i quote......

Smoke on the video is where it was boost cutting due to the wheelspin on the rollers, car is fine. It has some very light smoke at idle when cold (stem seals) but nothing other than that

John
13-11-07, 08:54 PM
if he's sent you a vid can you post it?

conad
13-11-07, 09:01 PM
ah but then you'de know who it was..... and thats a secret lol sad i know lol

i realise it would help but realy i cant let evry1 know who's car it is

John
13-11-07, 09:06 PM
ok cool, check the vid and let us know! Have you/can you check for oil in the charge system? to eliminate the turbo? if it's only stem seals they're not a mahoosive job tbh.

conad
13-11-07, 09:11 PM
sent you a pm

John
13-11-07, 09:40 PM
ok cool, it looks like black smoke to me? so it could be fuel, or oil. IIrc he's on migweb quite a bit so check out some of his threads/posts. Have you seen the car in person?

conad
13-11-07, 09:43 PM
no its 250 miles away so trying to get as much info before going

R1CH
13-11-07, 10:38 PM
You'll be looking at about ?110 for all the bits to do the valve stem oil seals, Headgasket / bolts / cam belt ect .... plus a couple of days work tbh.
I'd be trying to get a good few hundred ??? of the price if it was me, as said see if you can take a boost hose off and check for any oil, what kinda milage is on it ? if its a std turbo then its gonna be getting towards the end of its life at around 90k, mine started smoking its tits off after upping the boost abit !! it'll smoke on idle & when revved when its warm if the seals are starting to go.

Rich

Adam
13-11-07, 11:18 PM
Aye check the ic/pipes for oil.
Stem seals will smoke under vacuum( overrun)