PDA

View Full Version : MK2 to MK1 dash and other Q's

db_1.2
13-11-07, 04:26 PM
I currently have a mk2 GSI dash in my mk2 nova but ive decided to go oldschool after putting a set of opel manta recaros in the nova, plus im a bit bored of seeing and owning gsi replicas.

Anyway the question is, is it a straight swap? And will my current 6dial gsi dash fit the ummm dash?!

Another question is, i was thinking of having the dash proffesionally painted black, are there any pictures of this been done around? And will it ever flake off?

One other thing is i have electric windows in a gsi centre console but obviously once i get rid of the console i will have no where to put the switch's, any ideas? I was thinking of using astra mk3 handles with the switch's in but its a bit too modern for the theme.

PLEASE NOTE: i have stated i will be replacing the gsi dash, however it will not be sold, it will be stored as it is in immaculate condition same goes for the centre console

:thumb:

nova ian
13-11-07, 04:38 PM
You will need to get the mk1 heater pipes as they are different from the mk2 ones, and there will be some rewiring of to suit the different connections on the older dash, nothing to challenging though. Other than that it will go straight in.

And yes your 6 dial dash will be fine as its the same as GTE/SR which came with the mk1 dash anyway.

As for painting it black the mk1 dash I would say is better for painting as its more plastic than the foam like mk2 dashs so should be pretty straight forward. However somewhere in the features theres a nova with a mk1 flocked dash. Looks well smart. I was going to do this conversion and have it flocked on my car but now I've opted for the no dash at all approach so if you need any mk1 dash parts I have all the relevant parts:thumb:

Hope that helps

Ian

db_1.2
13-11-07, 04:43 PM
Thats brilliant thanks Ian, ill have to start looking around for a mk1 dash, i did think that there would be some wiring to do, but its not too challanging.

Another question, where are the electric window switch's on a mk2 astra gte? The centre console? Does anybody have any pics?

Jack
13-11-07, 05:27 PM
Mk2 GSi dials won't fit, you'll need to cut the mounting lugs off the side and top for it to sit in the Mk1 dash properly.

As for the electric windows, easiest option would be to swap the switches over for some Mk1 items and mount them in the centre console as per std.

Wiring will be hazard, headlight?, centre blower/heated RW, maybe foglight too iirc. Does your current Mk2 dash have functional side vents?

...Although why I'm offering helpful advice I'll never know as you deserve to be shot for fitting a Mk1 dash lol

btw I have a mk1 dash you can have, here it is

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a266/razorjack/Cars/Project%20Ghey/dash7.jpg

db_1.2
13-11-07, 05:35 PM
Lol i remember seeing that pic a long time ago, i think mk1 dash's are far better than the tacky mk2 attempt, its got so many pieces to it its almost a jigsaw puzzle, and whats with the fake leather stuff thats fitted over some wierd spunge stuff, were people planning to sleep on it? Oh and not forgetting that the actual moulding for the dash seems to be made from some wierd recycled cardboard?

Anyway, i thought mk1 switch's were rare, thats why i asked about others? Ill probably have some mkIII astra ones as there coolio!

loggyboy
13-11-07, 05:45 PM
mmm Mark 1 rattles....

Best to just find a set of SR/GTE 6 dials that will fit straight into the dash, then require the connector clock to the mk2 loom, its easy enough. Youl have a couple of spare connetors, 1 for the rev gauge that will just need a female spade connector to fit the male connector on the back on the mk1 gauges. All the above will be alot less hassle than cutting and shutting a mk2 set.

Youl need the top half blower adapter of the mk1 blower system, the 2 pipes that fed the drivers and passenger side vents need to me mk1 items, as do the cable connections for the heat level/blower direction slides.
Hazard switch, fog light, blower wiring will all need to have a lil swapping about done. most other items will fit in staight swap.

You should be able to retain the mk2 centre consol while you you hunt for a GTE/SR centre consol with elec window switches to swap.

DW-Nova
14-12-07, 07:35 PM
Why do you want to switch to a mk1 dash? a load of hassle for no real return, looks awful and squeeks loads, especially once its been taken out and put back in.

DTR-DEVIL
19-12-07, 10:53 PM
Mk1's dash's are Sh!t. They rattle, are about as stylish as a blank of wood and can be collected from me for FREE!

i also have the ducts and switches! ;)

peester
20-12-07, 09:07 AM
lol. the mk1 dash luv on here...
some bizarre things ive heard in a while said there mr db1.2..
personally i wouldnt mess puttin the wrong dash into a mk2 nova.. leave the much more modern looking mk2 dash in.

Riggy
20-12-07, 09:48 AM
why does every one forget the bottom cover from the heater box , the cables clip on this and is needed aswell

draper
20-12-07, 12:37 PM
i was always agaisnt mk1 dashes BUT looking at the nova sport in this months TV im warming to one, it also has a D shape steering wheel which looks the business

or maybe its just because it reminded me of my first nova SR