PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Tank Leak

JonL
12-11-07, 09:18 AM
Right a bit of background - I recently bought an injection nova, and have been stripping it out for track use.

Ever since I ripped out the carpet there's been this petrol smell. I've been trying to track it down, initially i thought it was the internal fuel pump seal, but that seems fine, no smell coming from there.

I then checked for leaks underneath, and again nothing.

So yesterday i found a little hole right in the centre of the car, just in line with where the front part of rear seats mount. The smell is definately coming from here.

So the question I'm asking is a) should there be a small hole here and b) is there any reason why a fuel smell would be coming specifically through that hole?

I guess it's probably going to be that somebody has drilled through the floor and into the fuel tank. Yay!! :(

Anyway thanks in advance for your answers.

Welsh Dan
12-11-07, 05:04 PM
There should be a small hole there for the fuel level sender cables.

Iain
12-11-07, 05:15 PM
Here's my rear with no extra holes drilled... Anything you've got which mine hasn't?

http://iainel.co.uk/images/forums/NovaWIP/33.JPG

JonL
12-11-07, 05:50 PM
Thanks guys, it's definately not the fuel level sender cables/pump cables,

It's a tiny little hole that'd be located here on your car iainel (i think its a black mark on your pic rather than a hole?)

http://members.lycos.co.uk/jonsclio16v/Nova/hole.jpg

I'm guessing that its therefore an extra drilled hole :(

Iain
12-11-07, 06:04 PM
Just ran outside to look, no hole there I'm afraid. Also there's something solid very near the floor (I poked something through the hole just above it) so I guess the fuel tank sits quite close.

JonL
12-11-07, 06:09 PM
Bugger, thanks for looking :)

Looks like I'll be taking the fuel tank off this weekend for closer inspection!
If it is a hole that's pretty scary!

Adam
12-11-07, 07:13 PM
Hmm, has someone drilled a hole and gone straight through the tank? lol

EDIT-I really should read before replying lol

Lee
12-11-07, 07:20 PM
lol, idiots.

Chemical metal should sort it.

Adam
12-11-07, 07:33 PM
Id fit another tank tbh, dont want to piss about with something as serious as petrol.
And petrol breaks down chemical metal ;)
Speaking from experience.

Lee
12-11-07, 07:55 PM
Id fit another tank tbh, dont want to piss about with something as serious as petrol.
And petrol breaks down chemical metal ;)
Speaking from experience.

Id agree if it was the bottom of the tank, but at the top i would expect chem metal to be ok./

But then you'll have to remove the tank anyway, so replacing it is no more hardship lol

Adam
12-11-07, 07:58 PM
Aye good point yeah, its not going be submerged in petrol.
Might be ok then.

JonL
13-11-07, 08:31 AM
Once i've got it off I'll have a look and assess, although as you say if I've got it off I might aswell replace it anyway, provided i can find one fairly quickly...

Still, i can't/don't actually want to believe someone has actually drilled through the tank!

Welsh Dan
13-11-07, 02:16 PM
Duck Tape! :D

mowgli
13-11-07, 10:04 PM
proper old fashioned motor factors sell tank repair kits