PDA

View Full Version : any one know the best way....

jon_boy
28-06-02, 12:43 PM
the other day i ripped off the badges on the rear of my car and the plastic strips that go down the side, but theyve left that really nasty foamy glue poo stuff thats a bugger to get off. any one know a good way of gettin it off rather thatn just sittin there and pickin at it? Cheers :D :D :robot:

SpArKySR
28-06-02, 04:34 PM
wallpaper steamer. :)

will remove anything sticky with no marks even SR vinyl

i think they're only about ?20.

if thats too steep, then a can of "sticky stuff remover" will do the trick for glue, but not vinyl. just spray it on leave for a minute, than peel off. not as blatently effective as the steamer but comes out with the same result.

locky
28-06-02, 10:40 PM
Fudge wheel, it plugs onto your drill, its a rubber block that smells like fudge, (hence fudge wheel!) any body shop should av em!
good luck!

SpArKySR
28-06-02, 11:47 PM
i would have thought he'd have wanted to get the sticky stuff off without destroying the paint underneath.

fudge wheel will quite frankly ruin it. if ur lucky, u might be able to T-cut it out, but only after hours of rubbing it on.

best bet is a wallpaper steamer. or simple boiling water if ur on a budget.

barnes
29-06-02, 05:21 AM
im sure i just replied to this post?????

deja vu or summit??

cornish
29-06-02, 12:15 PM
Tar remover from Halfords works well.

barnes
29-06-02, 12:33 PM
for what??? removing tar??? lol

Ian
29-06-02, 12:55 PM
or white spirit

ollster
30-06-02, 03:37 PM
white spirit is definalty the stuff to use, it worked fine when i did mine, and it doesnt harm your paint

ade
30-06-02, 08:01 PM
hairdryer or try hot water - followed by degreaser - or autoglym super resin polish - that stuff not only cleans yer car to perfect shine but shifts all sorts of sticky shite!

White spirit also works well (thats wot I used with the above)

Ade

?Marty?
01-07-02, 12:11 AM
Use petrol as usggested before. Apply liberally. Don't forget to light it to achieve the desired effect. Sorted.

Dan 5door
01-07-02, 09:06 AM
I used white spirte

Nova1.6
01-07-02, 11:16 AM
When you said u removed the strips down the side, do u mean the 1 cm thick colour strip or the actualy bumper strips? I removed my colour strip the same as u and it left the gooy glue stuff, used my sisters nail polish remover and a cloth, worked perfectly, but when i removed the door strips the rubber behind it was white, so i went to halfords and brought another strip that was same colour as the bumper strip i was putting it on, only ?2 or summit, still looks good tho. see pic at bottom.
Does anyone know if the bumpers strips are actualy fixed to the door pannels with holes and rivets or what have ya, i wanna take em off, but ive seen sum cars without them on and there's holes all the way along pannel where it used to be? If there are holes I'm going to ave em taken off and smooth when i have car resprayed and delocked.
Cheers for any help.
Neil
http://www.stuffing.freeserve.co.uk/me/Cnv0038.jpg

Nova1.6
01-07-02, 11:25 AM
opps wrong link... http://www.stuffing.freeserve.co.uk/car/Cnv00036.jpg

bonkars
24-02-06, 04:01 PM
petrol gets it off fella

Jack
24-02-06, 04:13 PM
There's times when the broken search function on the old site was a good thing...

Rexy
24-02-06, 06:57 PM
Coach strip wheel on an electric drill takes about 2 min's and wont do anything to the paint work unless your an absolute retard. Autoglym paint restorer, then polish to bring it all looking sparkling again. Oh and a heat gun would help too...

novatek
24-02-06, 07:08 PM
i use a plastic scraper (windscreen scraper) with a rag over the edge.

And as Rex said, heat gun is a good help.

oh, you can try and use nail varnish remover, pinch it from your sister. works like white spirit or turps ;)

Lee
24-02-06, 08:27 PM
i would have thought he'd have wanted to get the sticky stuff off without destroying the paint underneath.

fudge wheel will quite frankly ruin it.

Quite frankly, youve got to be a complete idiot to ruin paint with a fudge wheel. Theyre awsome, i totally de-decaled my old van with one, and i removed all the vinal off the doors on my old SR with one years ago.

Riggy
24-02-06, 09:37 PM
There's times when the broken search function on the old site was a good thing...

exactly

i really dont get some people , it a 4yr old thread FFS :wall: :wall: :wall: