PDA

View Full Version : xe handleing

just vaux trev
11-11-07, 02:51 PM
im building 1 or 2 xe'd novas at the moment and i've been reading that they lose out on the handling im on a real tight budget now and just want to know
what options there is for me to stiffen things up a bit any points i could add
ie welding wise i already have full spax 60m shox and springs, poly bushed anti-roll bar i do'nt mind a harsh ride:roll:

Lee
11-11-07, 04:34 PM
The main reason why XE's have a bad rep as far as handling goes is that you need to up the poundage rate of the front springs to support the extra weight. Either get a 2.0 nova kit from Courtenay, or contact coilsprings and get them to make you a 60mm set of front springs with a 300lb spring rate.

Steve
11-11-07, 05:28 PM
does anyone know why courtenay havnt got 2.0 springs featured on their site?

Or failing that where else to get a set from?

just vaux trev
11-11-07, 05:36 PM
The main reason why XE's have a bad rep as far as handling goes is that you need to up the poundage rate of the front springs to support the extra weight. Either get a 2.0 nova kit from Courtenay, or contact coilsprings and get them to make you a 60mm set of front springs with a 300lb spring rate.

so xe powered novas are quite under rated in the handling department!
compared to small block,are they not as bad as people make out and what sort of price would 300lb spring be?:thumb:

macc nova
11-11-07, 06:03 PM
/\/\ there only like ?39 pound each mate

Lee
11-11-07, 06:06 PM

They dont advertise stuff for the older models, they like to push the new stuff as much as poss.

Bear in mind Steve that they only come with around a 35mm drop. Id say coilsprings was the beter option if you want it to sit lower.

Adam
11-11-07, 06:57 PM
If your on a serious budget, i wouldn't XE it.
As a set of normal aftermarket nova springs will not work well with the weight of a xe, so the handling will suffer.

As Lee said, its the main reason why people wonder why they dont handle when they have a set of 1.2 60mm nova gmax springs fitted.

coombsey
11-11-07, 07:01 PM
lol thats what ive got untill my courtney ones are delivered

Jack
11-11-07, 07:49 PM
Yes they have?

Clicky (http://www.courtenaysport.co.uk/index.php?act=viewDoc&docId=50)

Nova 2.0 Price per pair (Front): ?56.00
Set of Four: ?99.95

just vaux trev
11-11-07, 10:23 PM
If your on a serious budget, i wouldn't XE it.
As a set of normal aftermarket nova springs will not work well with the weight of a xe, so the handling will suffer.

As Lee said, its the main reason why people wonder why they dont handle when they have a set of 1.2 60mm nova gmax springs fitted.

to late>http://http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee77/justvauxtrev/DSC00173.jpg
would a set of helper springs do any good if i could find somit to suit?
mind you at ?39 each it's not bad but like what has been said 35m not realy what im looking for

Lee
11-11-07, 10:27 PM
mmm, mid conversion messyness :)

just vaux trev
11-11-07, 10:38 PM
mmm, mid conversion messyness :)

i know, the plan is minimal look but i've got 3 projects and 3 kids so not a lot of time been thinking about using a turbo top hat to send the induction kit the other way keeping things compact:roll:

Saloony
11-11-07, 10:47 PM
i know, the plan is minimal look but i've got 3 projects and 3 kids so not a lot of time
Should of kept it in your trousers then lol

just vaux trev
11-11-07, 10:49 PM
Should of kept it in your trousers then lol

i cant help myself when i see a cheap nova i have to put my hand in my pocketlol

craig green
12-11-07, 11:20 AM
LOL @ helper springs! NO.

Weld up some lowered tie bar brackets is another easy, cheap solution to the bad as$ bigblock handling.

Steve
12-11-07, 10:17 PM
Yes they have?

Clicky (http://www.courtenaysport.co.uk/index.php?act=viewDoc&docId=50)

Thank you sir! lol

I just searched for 'nova springs' but nothing came up! :tard:

Steve
15-11-07, 06:30 PM
Just a quick note about the bad handling of 2.0 novas.

Been out in the SEH the last few nights and its lowered 60mm on g-max stuff and tbh I cant fault it! No real understeer issues, just seems fine!

I will get some decent 2.0 springs at a later date along with some yellow billies. But it'll do fine for now.

chris gsi
16-11-07, 09:04 PM
i run the full courtenay 2.0 Bilstein kit not cheep but good on the road and not to bad on the track but i do want coilovers now

the only down side is the ride hight which looks standard hight