PDA

View Full Version : 1.6 8 valve turbo

Rickyb
10-11-07, 09:53 PM
hi all im thinking of doing 1.6 8valve turbo engine just woundering what do you convert like pistons, head etc ive got a GSI engine sat in my garage in bits so theres a start.please help cheers :thumb:

craig green
10-11-07, 09:56 PM
Dude you really need to try the advanced search function.

Its been discussed only this week.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c323/turbocraig/Engine%20bays%20n%20Mods/Novturbo8v.jpg

Mike
10-11-07, 09:58 PM
lol was going to say, this get discussed loads on here. TBH IMO its not even that hard to do it.

craig green
10-11-07, 10:01 PM
Yes. But if you dont know, you need to ask.

However I do believe, if you need to ask, you aint gonna do that good a job of it tbh.

Cheque book out!

Mike
10-11-07, 10:05 PM
However I do believe, if you need to ask, you aint gonna do that good a job of it tbh.

Very true that Craig, as you know Ive asked, however i know the theory, i just didnt know what parts (to an extent) or where from lol

Rickyb
10-11-07, 11:03 PM
ok thanx i think oh and i will do a good job.

Stuart
11-11-07, 09:25 AM
?20 says it never happens...

craig green
11-11-07, 03:26 PM
?20 says it never happens...

LOL.

Last of the Nova SR's. That wasnt aimed at you, I know you have a clue. asking about details is one thing, asking where to start is another.

Rickyb
11-11-07, 04:24 PM
what eva il ask for help elsewere pricks

Mike
11-11-07, 06:09 PM

FPMSL! Living up to your Forum Name i see.....

Craig, i no lol i was just erm, saying lol

Stuart
11-11-07, 10:12 PM
lol you get offended because you couldnt be bothered to look back though pages of threads that get asked WEEKLY!!! with tons and tons of the theory as craig is one of the few who had a courtenay erm "conversion" (im no fan of those but they appear to work in a round about way), and there is also stacks and stacks of theory people have put in from experience/knowlege else where.

Generally we dont like repeating the same stuff over and over, especially when 99% of the time it NEVER gets actioned on.

R1CH
11-11-07, 10:42 PM

Its just that someone pops up every few weeks asking the same question, if you have a bit of a search you'll be able to find most of the answers your looking for, plus it also helps if you have 1/2 an idea to start with.
As folk have said they get sick of typing the same stuff week after week and more often than not these projects never happen.
Best bet is to read thru old threads (search button) then just have a go, sure along the way if you get stuck folk will be quite happy to help. But ... if you've gotta ask the question 'How do i turbo a 1600 8v' then your probly gonna struggle.
Good luck anyway

Mike
11-11-07, 10:47 PM
Generally we dont like repeating the same stuff over and over, especially when 99% of the time it NEVER gets actioned on.

A lot of this goes on here :thumb: lol

On another note, i popped round our mates house this evening to take a look at the turbo kit im having off him....

Needs a little TLC tbh. LET intercooler is a little worse for ware but very useable still, the manifold has got 1 bolt threaded and snapped in it, as well as the turbo elbow having two snapped bolts in it :cry: so a little bit of faffing around but im sure ill get it running :thumb:

Oh, and the oil seals are gone in the turbo (T2) but there is no play other then standard in the shaft :D

craig green
12-11-07, 10:03 AM
Also just to add, its not like 'turbo'ing' a 1.6 is much different to turbocharging any other 4 cyl engine.

Lower the compression ratio, bolt on a turbo, sort the fuelling.

There are books on the subject from the likes of Demon Tweeks & look at Practical Performance Car magazine (back issues) to see the conversion performed on a 3.5 BMW engine & fitted to an E30. 335 turbo - Mmmm.

Rickyb
12-11-07, 07:03 PM
rite thanx thats better than the first response i got. thank you.