PDA

View Full Version : unhealthy nova 1.4 8v

djshaggeh
10-11-07, 04:57 PM
1.4 8v

I just got my nova back on the road after a lengthy battle with the mot testers. About 2 weeks after getting it back the heating packed up as well as the radiator fan. Allgood i thought as its winter i can wear a jacket and the engine will stay nice n cool as long as i avoid the traffic.

However, the past two days I have started the car and it sounds rough as fook. The car struggles to rev, think its running on three cylinders (:cry: ) and when it does rev it cuts out. Intrestingly you can also hear water being pumped round the heater matrix which i never had/noticed before.

So today I thought I would have a little look.

Checked the oil - was black as the night, so I changed it.
Checked dizzy, rotorery arm and spark plugs.
Checked coil, the plug connected below the coil (big bugger) had a little bit of water in it so i cleaned it out.
Also there is two small wires coming from the coil that plug in behind the dizzy - I replaced these connectors coz they were a pile of kak.

Fired her up and she was a bit better but far from normal.

So i adjusted the timing, which seemed to clear the flat spots. I took her for a little spin round the block - it felt like i was driving a fiesta dressed as a nova. Still getting an awful flat spot between 1 n 3 thousand revs.

Unfortantly bad light has stopped play.
Anyone got any suggestions?

adzgsi
10-11-07, 07:28 PM
you shouldnt have needed to adjust your timing if it was ok before.
has the mot station mesed with your carb or timing.
also check your cooling system isnt over pressureising could be head gasket causing an air block on the thermostat side. which wont let it open hence no heat from matrix.sound like you got a busy sunday!
carry out all ya basic checks