PDA

View Full Version : Sound Deadning

krobinson
09-11-07, 10:36 AM
Hello Folks,

Following a Discussion from the 1/4 mile thread.

When my shell was dipped, every inch of sound deadning was removed, uncludeing in the battery tray area etc.

I'll be running a full interior, carpets and the thick trim under the carpets, and most likely a retrimmed interior.

Should I fit some rubber/tar sound deadning back in the original places? Or should I keep it removed?

Keith

craig green
09-11-07, 10:45 AM
Personally I'd try it without as its not much hassle to add it later, but I bet you'd rather not put it in and wish you hadnt. A lot of mess to remove again etc.

Adam
09-11-07, 10:55 AM
As said in the other thread, i wouldn't bother replacing the tar type sound deadening.

craig green
09-11-07, 10:57 AM
Perhaps do the bulkhead before the dash goes back on.

Jim
09-11-07, 11:10 AM
What do you want from the car? Judging by what I've read you are having a full interior. Are you having a sound system too? If so, then I'd probably suggest to have it put back in. Regardless of the carpet and trim, you'll still hear every stone that bangs the underside of the car.

You have to go one way or the other; totally strip it out or make it as quiet and refined as possible by installing the sound deadening. You're having a LET installed, so I really don't think you'll notice any difference in performance by adding a few kg's worth of sound deadening.

krobinson
09-11-07, 12:05 PM
I've been on totally stripped novas, and altho they serve a great purpose, they are only enjoyable when thrashing, if you drive to the shops its hell.

Thats why i'm going with the full interior, But i'd like to keep the car light. The only sound system will probably be some door speakers, no amps or subs etc.

Keith

craig green
09-11-07, 12:35 PM
I agree, its only tolerable when in an ideal environment.

The amount of people whinging about lack of heaters etc in stripped cars when the price of warm feet & clear screen is a couple kilo's.

Not the same issue, but similar compromises.

Jim
09-11-07, 12:35 PM
In that case I say install the sound deadening. Like I said, with the engine you're running, adding the extra deadening won't affect the performance.

krobinson
09-11-07, 12:38 PM
I think I will Jim. Which brings me to my next question, where is best to buy it? I dont want to be paying the crazy price of Dynamat!

Keith

Jim
09-11-07, 12:47 PM
google ;)

loads of places out there

Jack
09-11-07, 01:26 PM
Does it have to be a dynamat-like product? How about something cheaper like brown bread, or even carpet underlay?

Dec16v
09-11-07, 01:54 PM
I wouldn't go too mad with the sound proofing if you are fitting standard trim, I think Vauxhall put a 10" square piece of sound proofing inside the door and rear quarter to stop the panels vibrating, that should about do it. If you are using the standard rubber/foam around the bulkhead that should also suffice.

Are you waxing the box sections, that should also help sound proof the car?

krobinson
09-11-07, 02:11 PM
Yeah I'm hopeing to borrow a compressor next week and waxoil the chassis and inside the panels etc.

You not think I should out some of the sound deadning on the floor sections?

peester
09-11-07, 02:15 PM
It doesnt wash really being sat in a retrimmed, spec'ed up interior of a nova all gleemy gleemy, then hearing every stone and rattle.
Also, i find those fancy engine mounts (uprated/tas/etc) play a big part in noise/vibratay/comfort too.
I wouldn't hold back, do what it takes. Maybe investigate if there is an affordable, lighter solution to the vauxhall stuff..

krobinson
09-11-07, 02:18 PM
Yeah those solid mounts cause alot of vibration. On advice from Karl and Andy B i'm just going to run an uprated gearbox mount, and use standard elsewhere.

Keith

Dec16v
09-11-07, 06:44 PM
Don't forget you have the underside Gravitex'd too, that should help a good bit :)

krobinson
09-11-07, 06:50 PM
Cheers Dec. :D

philly
09-11-07, 07:50 PM
if your going to use dynamat type sound deadening i say its alot easier and you could even lay it everywhere throughout as its easy to mess with in awkward positions. there is a company over here that sells it on a big roll iirc its 10metrs long and roughly wide 600mm? let us know if your interested and will pm you some details.

Ash
09-11-07, 07:55 PM
Dynamat make a product called dynaliner, it's what Im going to use when I get pissed off with minimal interior. Having just removed 2 trunk kits of Dynamat Xtreme from my shell. lol :wall:

hybridturbo
09-11-07, 08:14 PM
I would put the sound deadning back in try www.frost.co.uk (http://www.frost.co.uk) they do some

stuartyj21
10-11-07, 11:09 AM
hi keith

i would agree you do need some sort of sound proofing i would go with atleast carpet underlay on da floor.
dynamat is good but to do a whole car is big bucks:thumb:

Welsh Dan
10-11-07, 11:31 AM
I bought soundproofing felt from a local motor factors for about ?6 a peice, 1m x 1.5m x 20mm, its made a fair bit of difference, but one thing I've considered doing is filling the rear quarters with that polystyrene "snow" packing, behind the interior panels.

joff-turbo-nova
10-11-07, 06:31 PM
Keith,

I was in the same quandry as yourself on this topic. In the end as Jim has stated, if you're running a full interior with an LET then an extra few KG ain't going to make much difference.

I used some stuff from B&Q Aquaseal flashing tape - comes in about a foot wide and about 10m long roll - cost about ?20 I think!

I found the easiest way to apply was remove backing film - heat up with hot air gun and then apply to the panel - sticks like a very sticky thing being extra sticky!!!

Couple of pics to give you an idea :-

http://www.elsamak.karoo.net/SOUND2A.JPG

http://www.elsamak.karoo.net/SOUND1A.JPG

A final point you can waxoyl over it but the tar like substance does "bleed" a small bit as seen here :-

http://www.elsamak.karoo.net/waxoyl1a.jpg

Hope this helps you decide what to do

Joff

Paul
10-11-07, 08:01 PM
I think something like dynamat would be ideal if you can find it cheap enough, then it can easily be removed at a later date, if you do decide you dont want it?

krobinson
10-11-07, 10:42 PM
I'm going to try my local motorfactors on monday and see what I can come up with.

Next weeks plan is sound deadning, and waxoiling the shell.

Mike
10-11-07, 11:18 PM
Geoff - regarding the "bleeding" you meantion, there is a way around this.....

Before painting/waxoiling etc paint the tar substance with Aluminium Wood Primer :thumb: the microscopic aluminium flakes in the primer form a virtually inpenetrable film of paint that wont bleed through ;)

R1CH
11-11-07, 02:08 AM
As Joff said, seeing as your running a full interior a few extra kg aint make much difference.
My old XE'd Nova was pretty much fully sound proofed and day to day driving was loads better, virtually no road noise and you got a sturdy 'thud' sound when closing the door rather than it sounding hollow and tinny.
In my LET theres absolutly no sound proofing / carpets ... nothing , and its f*cking ace !!
All or nothing if you ask me, bucket seats = strip it out propperly, full interior = sound proof it, make it feel 'executive' !!

Paul
11-11-07, 05:33 PM
'executive' !!

Lol Rich, were you drunk?

Executive and Nova in the same sentence :wtf:

R1CH
11-11-07, 05:40 PM
Might of had a couple of beers. lol
OK might not have been the best word to describe it but you get the idea !!